Experience with multiple tranny builds

bleedcummins

Hey, I'm wanting to hear from guys who have run multiple, or just a couple, built transmissions from different shops. I don't know enough about transmissions to know how many different variables can be changed to make them act and feel differently, and curious if many company's transmissions are essentially the same build or if there would be a noticeable difference switching from one company to another. I've ran my dtt unit for the last 5 years, 35k miles and it holds power just fine, lockup is firm, but it doesn't feel like anything to write home about, and reading reviews for other company's guys always claim "transmission is nasty" "beast" and I just can't find any reason to use that on mine lol so wondering like I said above how different each company's transmissions act. Hope that makes sense...

The valve body is the largest variable that will affect shift feel, shift RPM, overall firmness, etc.

Torque converter stall speed is another large factor in overall shift feel, since it dampens shifts, limits power transmission, and affect turbo spoolup when the converter is in the unlocked condition, when it's locked up, as long as it's holding the power, every converter will feel the same.

There are minor differences in shift feel from different clutch pack setups/clearances/servos/hard part changes/etc. but I'd say this is at most 20% of your transmission shift feel/user experience... unless the clutches or band are slipping, then this could also make a transmission feel soft or weak.

There are many "good" transmission builders on this forum and scattered across the country, the key is finding someone that will build it to match your driving style and selecting a builder with experience/knowledge to hold your power level.

As far as "lockup firm", if you have an older DTT tranny, they predominantly used single disk converters so it wouldn't surprise me if yours doesn't "lockup firm".

My opinion isn't based on being a consumer with experience with various builds/brand of transmission, my experience is based mostly on tuning valve bodies for customers, building our own line of performance transmissions, and rebuilding other "brands/built" transmissions that have failed and seeing the parts combinations and associated failures.

I remember when I got the transmission they sold me a triple disk. Something about the supplier who they got the singles from had quit making them. To correct myself and make better sense of the lockup being firm, I meant lockup is firm. Feels like gaining 100hp plus when I locks in 3rd, however the transmission until lockup is nothing spectacular, breathe taking, or worth writing home about.
That's my absolute biggest gripe about this pickup, possible the only gripe. Until the turbos lite (1650ish rpm) off idle till then it is doggy and lazy. My secondary turbo is small, thought it would be nice and responsive. I am comparing to my coworkers 2000 who's throttle response is amazing. His truck is stock charger and 150's with ez and a goerend trans. When you touch the throttle in that thing, even just 15% it kinda jolts you it's read to go. So I didn't know if that was more tranny related, fueling, or turbo sizing that makes our trucks feel so different

You have to consider that YOU have torque management...i dont believe that he does.

Currently the BD Radbox is all i know of that ELIMINATES this, but you loose gauges while engaged.

Now, the beta version V2 for the Quad is showing signs of being able to TUNE around the torque management.

What housing is on the secondary turbine? Some people don't like the 14, it doesn't get better in compounds.

Currently the BD Radbox is all i know of that ELIMINATES this, but you loose gauges while engaged.

I'll never forget I took a friend for a ride in Meacham Evins old drag truck when it was still just a street beast..... I was 2-3 miles down the road when I noticed no oil pressure.... I about shat myself :aiwebs_016: pulled into the closest parking lot and called him at the shop. He laughed his arse off at me and said see such & such switch... flip it. :hehe: LOL

Last edited:
I love my tranny built using goerend parts by mike L at inglewood trans.
Id love the shifts and the lock up on od
That's all I can say is I'm a happy customer and would consider my trans as a beast haha.