Experts advice

Addicted4

Starting the tear down on my 12v that will settle in its new home in my superduty. 94 160hp 12v w/312k miles

Things to look for inside the motor upon tear down?
Pistons, bearings, valves, etc...????

Building it as a daily driver tow rig so I want good driving characteristics.
Compound turbos sizing?
Camshaft needed?
Valve springs, retainers, push rods
Injector sizing, 5x12 or 7x?
Pump work needed?
Mechanical fuel pump or electric?
3gsk, 4, or 5?
4-500hp
4r100 or zf6 or g56?
Head porting on exhaust and or intake sides,

Starting the tear down on my 12v that will settle in its new home in my superduty. 94 160hp 12v w/312k miles

Things to look for inside the motor upon tear down?
Pistons, bearings, valves, etc...????

Compound turbos sizing?
Camshaft needed?
Valve springs, retainers, push rods
Injector sizing, 5x12 or 7x?
Pump work needed?
Mechanical fuel pump or electric?
3gsk, 4, or 5?
4-500hp
4r100 or zf6 or g56?
Head porting on exhaust and or intake sides,

Well, let's start with a little info on the truck. Like year, tranny, etc.

2003 superduty 7.3 auto 4x4 is what it's going in
Motor is a 94 out of a reg cab 4x4 manual 312k miles

Start searching.

Also, there is a Conversion sub-forum here, lots of information.

Been searching and reading but its under a bunch of derailed threads and of topic thought I would ask in my own thread and get the advice I'm looking for

But we also see the same questions time and time again. If you did a little research like most do, youll find some very good answers. Part of the fun and learning process is finding info and putting things together.

Heres an example, if you didnt know how to have sex, would you rather me do all the work by pounding your gf or would you rather figure it out for yourself?

Last edited:
Good analogy. As I'm newer to the 12v but not with the 7.3 but willing to learn from reading. I'll search a little but from your experience I can learn

Theres nothing wrong with asking questions but we cant and shouldnt tell you how you want to build your truck. its part of the fun!

But we also see the same questions time and time again. If you did a little research like most do, youll find some very good answers. Part of the fun and learning process is finding info and putting things together.

Heres an example, if you didnt know how to have sex, would you rather me do all the work by pounding your gf or would you rather figure it out for yourself?

I think I'm using this in my sig. Lol

If you want suggestions on HP, look in the 2 forums related to it. Like yours would bee the 2nd Gen 94-98 and Dodge Competition forums. Under advanced search, push ctrl and select those 2 sub forums. Then type 500 HP and start reading. General the older threads have lots of info and the newer ones have more efficient means but have lots of derailing.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Compound turbos sizing? he351/s475
Camshaft needed? 178-208 Hamilton
Valve springs, retainers, push rods just springs
Injector sizing, 5x12 or 7x? A 7 hole would be a bit more effcient, stay in the 150hp range
Pump work needed? 4k governors, modded afc, zero plate
Mechanical fuel pump or electric? Cant beat the realiability of the stock one, it will keep up with you.
3gsk, 4, or 5?
4-500hp
4r100 or zf6 or g56? G56 will be easiest, the zf is a bear to fit under an auto floor pan, 4r100......I just hate autos in general.
Head porting on exhaust and or intake sides,Both if you have the money

312k, get an O/H kit. If the engine has been maintained you can get by with a hone job and new rings. Go ahead and have the head rebuilt. Now would be the time to add a cam if your budget allows.

I will be pulling the head off in the next day or two to check it out. Is a cam worth the money if doing twins

Correction on my post, get a 5 hole nozzle.

A cam is always worth the money. Will help spoolup considerably, something 12v's are not known for.