external WG installed but...

kennyblatz

Got my ED gate put on ,great product. I'm having a little trouble with tuning it. I got the heavier outer spring and the inner spring installed. Drive pressure to the top and boost to the bottom. Even with the boost shut off the gate still seems to open to early. Anyone have some ideas? Has anyone had trouble with the vavle seating properly maybe?

Gt4094r, adrenaline, mach 4's

Are you sure the boost is shut off to the bottom? Make sure the gate is sealing properly. Also you might see what kind of pressure on the bottom port it takes to push the gate open.

What kind of boost pressure are you seeing?

Sorry forgot that, I'm seeing around 44psi and would like 50. Yes I'm 97 percent sure its closed but I'm changing my lines and valve soon to make sure. What's the best way to check the gate is sealing?

pull off the vband on the discharge of the gate and see how well it is sealing, you will see it puff a little.

You should probably put a drivepressure gage on it, I would suspect you may not have enough fuel to see 50 psi, 1.01 turbine?

With my 50mm previous gate from ED it was able to stay closed at 105psi drive when I had issues with a quick spool flange not working properly. I had the heavy spring and the innter spring(s) in as well but am a bit foggy being it's been a while.

As Dan said make sure your boost is being cut off to the bottom port in the gate.

If the gate's exhaust is indepandant of the down pipe via flex pipe or some other separate exhaust look for soot in that separate gate exhaust pipe. No soot = the gate is not opening. Also, you should hear it when it opens.

Its the lowest a/r .85 I think. I'll put in a drive pressure guage and check a few more things.
Thanks for the posts so far

Only thing I gotta add I have a egt probe in the WG exhaust and I get a reading on startup and of corse higher later on. But if its getting a reading instantly would that not suggest the valve isn't seating correctly?

Only thing I gotta add I have a egt probe in the WG exhaust and I get a reading on startup and of corse higher later on. But if its getting a reading instantly would that not suggest the valve isn't seating correctly?

You certain the reading on startup isn't some kind of voltage spike?

Yeah if the probe is out of the pipe its a flat 32 (digital guage) if its in I get 70 ish deg right away and holds steady untill I start driving it goes up.

I used full boost pressure in the top and regulated boost in the bottom so that it doesn't open to soon or flutter under a load. I got little regulator and hooked it up, its almost all the way closed so it only adds a little pressure to open it when the drive pressure climbs

How do you like the 4094R so far? How does it compare to other turbo's you've tried?

Yeah if the probe is out of the pipe its a flat 32 (digital guage) if its in I get 70 ish deg right away and holds steady untill I start driving it goes up.

Maybe a very very slight leak then. If it didn't start right away going from 32 to 70 i'd say it's likely just heat conducted through the metal exhaust pipe. Can you see any soot in the exhaust pipe?

I used full boost pressure in the top and regulated boost in the bottom so that it doesn't open to soon or flutter under a load. I got little regulator and hooked it up, its almost all the way closed so it only adds a little pressure to open it when the drive pressure climbs

I ran that way and couldn't get it setup, of course it seemed that I had a failed regulator. I can't remember the events, but after looking at a log, I can see why it pushes open. On spool up drive pressure seemed to lead boost.

The way I got it to seem to work the best was regulated drive on top, and regulated boost on bottom.

If you think about it, there could be come a point where if your running regulated boost on the bottom, that your drive pressure could be come so great that your not able to overcome the pressure on top. Theoretically it shouldn't happen as you reach a point the gate should open, and your drive really won't build.

IIRC correctly the piston area on top(holding the regulator closed) is larger than the valve face in the gate. So equal pressure on top and bottom the gate will stay closed.

1. I'm sure I can feel exhaust coming out of the WG exhaust at idle so it must not be seating right.

2. Yes there's soot in the pipe but I had my regulator open for abit which would lift the gate it was opening forsure then.

3. Can't really say yet ronA I want to get this gate issue fixed then I'll put up a thread about the turbo as I have gotten pm's about it etc.

1. I'm sure I can feel exhaust coming out of the WG exhaust at idle so it must not be seating right.

2. Yes there's soot in the pipe but I had my regulator open for abit which would lift the gate it was opening forsure then.

3. Can't really say yet ronA I want to get this gate issue fixed then I'll put up a thread about the turbo as I have gotten pm's about it etc.

Give Chris a buzz i'm sure he has a few ideas to get you right. Good luck!

I ran that way and couldn't get it setup, of course it seemed that I had a failed regulator. I can't remember the events, but after looking at a log, I can see why it pushes open. On spool up drive pressure seemed to lead boost.

The way I got it to seem to work the best was regulated drive on top, and regulated boost on bottom.

If you think about it, there could be come a point where if your running regulated boost on the bottom, that your drive pressure could be come so great that your not able to overcome the pressure on top. Theoretically it shouldn't happen as you reach a point the gate should open, and your drive really won't build.

IIRC correctly the piston area on top(holding the regulator closed) is larger than the valve face in the gate. So equal pressure on top and bottom the gate will stay closed.

Thanks for the good info. I just hooked mine up this week but have not played with it yet.