Factory fuel filter grommet leaking

Oaborbag

It's just a 6 cylinder
The stock water/fuel separator is starting to leak a little bit from the grommet that has two wires coming out of the top of it, how does one go about fixing this? Replace the whole unit? Replace the top part? Or is this a pretty random issue? It's not leaking enough to make me worried about anything, but it does leave a little spot on the garage floor over night.

Off topic, but I also noticed a small drop of oil about to drip from the torque converter cover between the engine and transmission, not sure where it came from, just curious if anyone had any ideas, thanks in advance for reading.

Anyone? I don't know why I said water/fuel separator...It's hte factory fuel filter just before the injection pump that is leaking, is causing fuel to be on just about everything under it.

I nhad the same problem recently just stop at your local auto parts store and pick up a new filter. It should fix it with the new seal

I never thought about the seal inside...:doh:

haha thanks, hopefully that will work.

Finally replaced the fuel filter, used a cheap one from Kragen, probably not the smartest things I've done, well it still leaks, just not as much.
I also get only 5psi with my programmer on 5x5 dropping from 20psi at idle, fuel pump getting weak? I need to change the in line fuel filter...soon hopefully.

Regardless, is there an option to bypass the factory fuel filter?

You can, but your risking a lot. Would you rather buy the right parts and fix the filter housing or pay for a rebuilt VP?

The drops comin from the converter, is it engine oil or trans fluid?

It's dark so I think it's oil, and my guess its that it's there from the puke tube.

I'd rather keep the factory filter housing, but without it leaking. Probably going to order a name brand fuel filter soon. Not sure if the new gaskets will solve the leak or not, it leaks a lot less than it did with the cheap one in there.

i had this same problem happen to me. If it's the same spot where mine was leaking, its on top of the fuel filter housing, has two wires going into the top of it and plugs into a plug behind the fuel filter housing. One of those wires on mine got stripped somehow and started sparking causing smoke and left a hole in the grommet part. I asked around on here and picked up one that somebody took off when installing an airdog and replaced it and it's fine now. You can either buy a fass or an airdog (with filters) to bypass the stock fuel filter housing, or you can just ask around. Search for my thread, there are several members that just have them laying around and will give to you or only charge you 20-30 bucks for it.

That's exactly where it's leaking, afaik it's not sparking or smoking, just leaking very little. You bring up an airdog or fass, which makes me wonder because I think my truck has out grown my current fuel setup, the fuel pressure used to be stable, but lately it's been dropping to 5 psi when I have everything on kill.

ive got the whole factory fuel filter assembly for sale 30 bucks shipped if u want it

I replaced the o-ring on the gromet on my housing that was leaking too.
But I had to Cut the wires which was the downside.

That does sound like a downside, but at least it worked, I might see if I can get an entire housing for a decent price. What years were the same? I could be wrong, but did they change them on the newer vp trucks? Somewhere I thought I read that...

yes they are different between 98.5-2000 and 01-02. The 98.5-00 have a metal top and are a bottom fed fuel filter while the 01-02 trucks use a plastic top and use a top feed filter.