faint power still on with key removed

jkretzer

MegaCrank
just another small issue I am chasing in my 98 12v. batteries have been draining if I leave them hooked up for more than 3-4 days. had the bats tested and they were good. alternator is charging as it should. I noticed the other night when I got home I walked by the truck, since it was dark out I could faintly see the display for the overhead console was on and the parking brake indicator light on the gauge display was on very faintly. I haven't pulled anything out to test for voltage and trace wires but since I saw another thread about this same issue (just on an 06) I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some help. any ideas?

Hook a test light between negative battery post and negative battery cable.
If it lights up start pulling fuses until the light goes out. Make sure to check any accessories added to the truck that aren't run thru the main truck harness. When the light goes out that should be your problem.

Hook a test light between negative battery post and negative battery cable.

If it lights up start pulling fuses until the light goes out. Make sure to check any accessories added to the truck that aren't run thru the main truck harness. When the light goes out that should be your problem.

Sometimes the draw isn't large enough to illuminate a 12v test light to where it's noticeable. You need to hook a good multimeter up on the Amps setting first and possibly the milliamps if it's a small draw to find it. Put the red lead on the Neg cable and the black lead on the Neg battery post. Then pull fuses after you let it sit like that for a bit to let any computers that are alive go to sleep. You should see the reading drop to an appropriate level once you pull the fuse that powers the circuit that the draw is on.
Keep in mind that the alternator itself can go bad and cause a draw as well. Just try disconnecting the battery lead off the back of it to check that.

Thanks for the info. Never thought of checking thay way. Will try to work on it sun and report back.