Fass install recommendation

sleepin-sport

I would like to start by saying hello to the comp diesel world, you guys definitely :rockwoot:

I'm planning on installing a Fass system this weekend and would like to know your thought's about hose sizes. From my understanding, the Fass system brings’s a 3/8" hose. I would like to run 1/2" hoses instead.

Those of you that are running 1/2" hoses, did you have to buy the hose and push lock fitting's separate? If you did, where's the best place to buy them?
I'm not too sure but I think there -8an...?

I already have a draw straw and plan on bypassing the fuel filter canister.
Sure wouldn't like to starve the mach's (6)

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I don’t think that there would be any benefit going from 3/8in line to 1/2in line. I would think you might lose some fuel pressure going to 1/2in lines. Just my $.02

You are after volume to the VP44, so long as you can keep at least 10-13PSI to it the pumps seem to be happy IF there is plenty of fuel available at that pressure.

It's really easy to install. I just ran the line straight to the IP too.
All I noticed was instead of my fp dropping to 6 or 7 @ WOT, it only drops to 13psi. No power, better fuel mileage, response etc...It's all BS.
FASS does not have customer service so I hope all goes well.

3/8 line is PLENTY of fuel ........... the '94 has a fas with 3/8 up to the firewall then I put in a Y and split it to two 3/8 lines running to the P-Pump.

Thanks for the feedback,

I dropped the tank today and installed the draw straw. The factory fuel canister and lift pump are both MIA. I have a fuel pressure regulator from my old truck. This truck had an aeromotive fuel pump (rated 150gph) feeding the vp through this fuel pressure regulator.

My question is, should I run a fuel pressure regulator?
Should I regulate the pressure from the fass, to keep the vp happy?
I’ve heard 13-14psi is the recommended fuel pressure.

sleepin-sport said:
Thanks for the feedback,

I dropped the tank today and installed the draw straw. The factory fuel canister and lift pump are both MIA. I have a fuel pressure regulator from my old truck. This truck had an aeromotive fuel pump (rated 150gph) feeding the vp through this fuel pressure regulator.

My question is, should I run a fuel pressure regulator?
Should I regulate the pressure from the fass, to keep the vp happy?
I’ve heard 13-14psi is the recommended fuel pressure.

What FASS System do you have? Is it the SYSTEM with Filters? IF so NO regulator is needed. The return to tank portion of the system keeps the fuel pressure in check, and a regulator would be a restriction that is not needed. IF you want Fuel pressure change you can get it inside the FASS.

If you have an HPFP pump it's a different story, but similar...

Thanks

I have the 150 with filters, so I can forget about adding a fuel pressure regulator.

I ran the hose from the fass straight to the vp and I'm having trouble starting the truck. I'm starting to think that it's best to keep the original fuel filter canister, so I can prime the system better. I guess eliminating the factory fuel filter was a bad idea, especially since the sensors are unplugged.

sleepin-sport said:
Thanks

I have the 150 with filters, so I can forget about adding a fuel pressure regulator.

I ran the hose from the fass straight to the vp and I'm having trouble starting the truck. I'm starting to think that it's best to keep the original fuel filter canister, so I can prime the system better. I guess eliminating the factory fuel filter was a bad idea, especially since the sensors are unplugged.

Was your other fuel delivery pump junk?

You could have the hard start issue.... too much pressure (really not too much but way more than the VP has seen for a while) can cause hard starts. It's not hard to get the air from install out, the jic fitting you put at the VP should let 94.2% of it out with a little crack. the rest should fart out shortly after idle.

If you have had a lazy lift pump, the VP could be responding to the new fuel pressure and it can be an issue. there is a fix for it, if you need some help give me a call.

Thanks for the help Jack,

I'm not sure about the condition of the stock LP. I just bought the truck from a friend.
The truck would fire right up but it would miss and shut off often. The previous owner told me water had gotten into the fuel system.
I brought the tank down and converted to a draw straw. Installed the fass system and ran the fuel line straight to the vp.
I'm guessing that there should be air in the system, so I'll crack the injector lines and bleed them to see what happens....?

Sounds alot like what Bear3 said.
I've heard of this many times before.
The VP may have been starved for a while causeing hard starts with the new preasure of the FASS.
Give him a call. He'll fix you up.

You probably should not have cracked the line. I filled the canisters with fuel before installing and still had to prime it 4-5 times before it fired up.
I also went straight to the IP and have no issues.
It was easy to install without dropping the tank too.
I didn't trust the bolts that came with it, so I welded mine on.

sleepin-sport said:
The truck would fire right up but it would miss and shut off often. The previous owner told me water had gotten into the fuel system.

As I said earlier, I want to keep the factory canister to still use the sensors. I went to the local performance shop to buy pushlock fitting's for the canister. To my surprise, when I remove the lid to check the fuel filter....... IT WASN'T THERE!!!!!!!!! The bottom of the canister has water and debri. What should I do?
Is there a way of flushing the injection system from vp to injectors?

I would have to put in a large chaw, crack a bottle of captian, cuss the whole time and get tanked until I forgot what I was pissed about.
Come back the next day and start fresh.:doh:
Seriously, maybe take off the lines from the VP to the head and clean them good. If there was alot of debris passing threw the pump, it may have clogged the injectors, have to remove them and clean. Be lucky if the VP isn't shot with the tight tolerances they don't like trash passing threw.
I just want to get this straight: basicly there was no fuel filtration at all from the tank to the VP? That sounds bad.
Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but don't panic, others will have better ideas.
Good luck.:pop:

Last edited:
There's a big filter and water separator on the FASS. I've heard of people running both filters, but it seems excessive to me.

Back