Fastenal head bolts, part numbers and help.

Yea I would never risk having a bolt break, strip or worse and have to do it all over again. If you cant afford another $200 for studs you probably should not be modifying your truck to the point it will pop a gasket.

That being said mine has been holding 50-60psi for 5 years with cranked stock bolts and factory head gasket. I know its on its way and I plan on surfacing the head, installing o-rings and studs when it comes off.

You are certainly one to talk crap I have been using them for years as most of my friends. I just feel like I'm being robbed for a stud that I do not really need. So waist your money If you want to!

Stock bolts are torque to yield the bolts I use are quite a bit thicker and have not stretched so you are incorrect!

Stock bolts are 12.9, same as most socket head cap screws. So you are replacing stock bolts with something equivalent to stock bolts with machining required.

We are all entitled to opinions, now I agree if you can't afford NEW studs wait for used to come up. I personally wouldn't to go fastenal for head bolts. Just my $.02

I did not say Fastenal I have other sources,I also did not say Afford. I said robbed! The price for Studs is outrageous. most of us do not need that kind of support anyway. If you are running 70+ PSI all the time By all means!

I did not say Fastenal I have other sources,I also did not say Afford. I said robbed! The price for Studs is outrageous. most of us do not need that kind of support anyway. If you are running 70+ PSI all the time By all means!

Holy chit man settle down don't get all butt hurt just yet. I said just my. opinion. As we are all entitled to have.... So I agree robbed is true, fastenal because of thread title... I've had good luck with mighty bolts, I run studs and bought them used because of price and budget.

Run what you deem feasible for your budget. There was no attack in what I said.

There are a few advantages to using a stud for a clamping application.

I don't feel it is a $300.00 advantage. As I said before most of us do not need studs! If you want to spend the extra for it by all means do it! I have bought studs before. I wasted my money! I also have a good idea what it costs to make them and I think it is robbery! MY OPINION!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know they feel more solid than stock bolts after 125lb, not as mushy.

Stock bolts are torque to yield the bolts I use are quite a bit thicker and have not stretched so you are incorrect!

They are definitely not TTY. That is why rebuild kits send bolt length gauges, to make sure the bolts are NOT stretched. You might be confusing the torque and degree method with TTY, which are not the same.

And the grade and minor diameter of the bolts are the same, so the clamp load will be the same.

A stud will provide greater clamping force regardless of whatever you may think. The nut side is fine threaded and you are putting that torque into clamping instead of turning a coarse threaded 6 inch long bolt. The torque your torque wrench sees is the resistance to turn. NOT the amount of clamping force you are putting down. Fastenal bolts can get you by. They are not much better if any than stock bolts and studs outperform and are worth the extra money. Cobbling is using socket cap bolts. I've been there and done it. Wasn't worth the headache and money IMO. You wouldn't use a fernco boot from Lowes in place of an intercooler boot would you? or would you?

Do you wanna try to get lucky and have a bolt that doesnt strip, break etc. Or just get studs, studs are more reliable end of story.