Finished motor rebuild, break in questions....

nrussell

I will be dropping motor in truck tomorrow morning, how should I break in the motor?
Thanks

Everyone has a different opinion on this. Some baby them, some drive them 1,000 miles then hammer on them. Some only go 500. Some hook them to the heaviest trailer they can find and go for a long haul.

After breaking the cam in to the Cam manufactures spec's run the chit out of it..

WHY stock cam ?>>>...... I think you will be fine by just running it how you drive it!
AS long as you didn't take the tappets out!

WHY stock cam ?>>>...... I think you will be fine by just running it how you drive it!
AS long as you didn't take the tappets out!

Because I had to send my helix cam to Don to have it fixed/replaced. no tellin how long that will take. personally i didnt notice any difference when it was in the truck anyway. Same stock tappets with same stock cam.

Bummer would have thought that helix would help spool faster?? DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! Good luck on the new motor!

450mi with mine, then hammer time. oh and thats with Don's cam

i didn't feel much difference when i swapped in my helix cam either but when i went from the H2 to the HD big stick i noticed a difference with a 62/71/14 now i'm back to stock turbo and it spools like a raped ape.

do you have access to a load dyno? If I had access that would be the way i would break it in............

I always run them 50 miles to get a couple of heat cycles on them.
retorque/ reset lash
check for leaks
20,000lb gooseneck or heavier if you have it( load helps seat the rings and build carbon around top ring land)
500 miles change oil
take note of fuel economy.

Zach

Do you need to retorque even with the mls gasket? I wasn't planning on it I torqued the studs to 140. I'll break the cam in then I planned on putting it on the trailer and heading to ts.

I always run them 50 miles to get a couple of heat cycles on them.
retorque/ reset lash
check for leaks
20,000lb gooseneck or heavier if you have it( load helps seat the rings and build carbon around top ring land)
500 miles change oil
take note of fuel economy.

Zach

This is usually what I do minus the gooseneck part.

If they're going to blow up they'll usually do it within the first few miles/heat cycles.

Hammer down, i had one retorque on mine and drove 150miles, dyno'd it four times, then the next day with a week only on the engine i was sled pulling it.

Had a delay on finishing motor.....need some parts. But it will be running tomorrow. Here are a few pics of the rebuild.

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 29
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 23
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 23
Nice pics! I see you tapped and plugged the freeze plugs on the head! Isn't there one that's a problem hidden by the trans housing?

i dont think so......all i remember is the rubber cam bushing in bell housing will leak eventually unless you add some some sealant. lifting the cab made it SOOO much easier.