FIRE/O-RINGS,OR 625+ MLS. D DRIVER please help

06 Smkn Ghost!!

always upgrading
I am currently (for 2yrs/49,000miles) running Arp 2000 head studs stock MLS gasket at 70# boost almost daily.

2 weeks ago i put new 35lpm stainless body injectors in my truck and new turbo all from II.

I have come to the understanding by manny thant i have blown my gasket between cylinders. so now for the fix where im looking for some help, I have heard good and bad about oring/fire ringing heads for daily drive use ive also heard new age 625+ head studs and MLS gasket is good for well over 80# boost. I need first hand knowledable pple to send me in the right direction. dont have the $$ to get this wrong or do it again do to the $$ that just went out on the latest modds.

Thanks in advance.
Russoconstruction1@gmail.com

Soon as we started to raise the boost Past 80 the MLS failed, We not have it fire Ring..Our goal is 120+.I would NOT fire ring for every day use,We will be replacing the fire rings yearly or when they fail.O-ring for daily use.

I run fire rings in just the head with arp 2000's over 100 hooks and alot of dyno time never had a problem, I dont daily drive mine though... use to I didnt have any problems. put about 2k miles on it daily driving.

As far as I know you cant o-ring/fire-ring a MLS gasket...

I'd go a 12v gasket with o-rings and 625's torqued to 165# if you want o-rings.

Otherwise I'd run a stock MLS with 625's torqued to 165#.

Drake Swett is running 100+psi on the above MLS settings I stated above....1200+hp and 10.20's....gasket been flawless.

I've had great luck with the MLS/625's as well, also 100lbs+. But running 15:1 compression as well. I'm thinking Drake is running less than stock compression as well.

When you surface the head or block careful attention needs to be given to the surface finish, or RA.

I've had great luck with the MLS/625's as well, also 100lbs+. But running 15:1 compression as well. I'm thinking Drake is running less than stock compression as well.

When you surface the head or block careful attention needs to be given to the surface finish, or RA.

As far as I know, Drake is only decompressed via flycutting for his cam...don't hold me to it, but last I talked to him, that was the case.

As far as I know, Drake is only decompressed via flycutting for his cam...don't hold me to it, but last I talked to him, that was the case.

He told me a compression # in a PM so I'm not going to repeat it but it was a number I was expecting inline with the HP.

He told me a compression # in a PM so I'm not going to repeat it but it was a number I was expecting inline with the HP.

Fair enough...I'll have to jam him up next time I talk to him!!

Carry on with the thread.

My MLS with 625+'s last about 20,000 miles and 200+ 1/4 mile passes before it started to leak. I was running 82psi of boost at the time. Here is a pic of the gasket when I pulled it off:

DSC00354.jpg

Since then I have been running an o-ringed head with a standard thickness, 12V gasket that has had the water passages modified. You can get the modified gasket from Snedge. The compressed thickness of the standard 12v gasket is thicker then the thick MLS gasket.

Paul

I run fire rings in just the head with arp 2000's over 100 hooks and alot of dyno time never had a problem, I dont daily drive mine though... use to I didnt have any problems. put about 2k miles on it daily driving.
i run the same over 3 years of daily driving and stilll not one problem
but ther is a key do a water pressure kit
As far as I know you cant o-ring/fire-ring a MLS gasket...

eric browns make a fire ringed mls gasket

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I run haisley's kit and I also drilled my gasket to allow more water passage through it. this wa susing a 24v gasket.. I do believe they sell a cr gasket now.

What kind of special surfacing do you guys do to keep the gasket sealing better?

I just had me head deckd and block deckd. I dont recall how many thousanths wasnt much at all. just reasurance.