fire ring delete

turbotory

finely started tearing down my motor getting rid of those leaky fire rings. its been about 3 months sense I brought this up last time. I have to figure out what im goin to do about those grooves in the heads. any ideas?

Might need new heads, but not sure. Who's fire rings do you have? I've been running hypermax's fire rings for over 3 years now with no issues.

elite, last time we talked about leaky rings they said they had a new gasket and ring combinations. they were waiting on new rings never hered back from them. I didn't call ether to check on them.

Alot of people don't like rings and say it's not needed on these motors. Others have had issues with them also. Maybe they aren't really needed, but at the time i was doing my studs, injectors, and fuel system with the cab off(which was about 4 years ago), i thought it'd be a good idea to do fire rings seeing as there were alot of issues with blown head gaskets on these engines. Now, guys are saying bad things about rings, i just hope i don't have any issues with mine, but like i said...i've had mine for over 4 years now with no problems.

I looked into rings, Elite Rings. I was told by elite that under 600 hp you don't need them. Also was "told" by someone at Elite that they were having issues with their rings, more specifically the metal in their rings. They weren't crushing correctly and that's the issue for the leaky rings. None of this is fact, just what I've been told by "someone" at Elite.

So have you tried contacting Elite yet to see if they have "new" rings, or to see what they have come up with?

I had to buy new heads..Like I said in the other thread, the machine shop told me they could mill the heads to remove the ring groove, but they would then have to sink the valves, which wasn't a problem, I just felt better about buying new heads, even thought my wallet didn't, i just didn't want to take any chances.

any thoughts on tig welding these up, we have some stuff called ''belzona super metal'' we use it alot when welding isn't an option its for repairing worn shafts, and surfaces that needs to be machined. you can google it pretty cool stuff.

I had to buy new heads..Like I said in the other thread, the machine shop told me they could mill the heads to remove the ring groove, but they would then have to sink the valves, which wasn't a problem, I just felt better about buying new heads, even thought my wallet didn't, i just didn't want to take any chances.

Sounds like your head gaskets went again.wow. Were you running one of those famous welded up FCD intakes. What was the cause of your HG going agains. I know why mine were going it was drive pressure caused from improper turbo sizing of the compounds. Did you diagnosis the problem so it doesnt happen again. We have a truck with almost your same combo and he has put 50k on it no problems. Then we had another truck with your combo(190s and stock turbo) that 3 sets of HG went. We even put new heads on the second time. We later found out the block was out of Tolerance. Did you check your block. What pistons did you go with. I saw someone you posted pictures of new pistons and thought you had to redo the bottom end.

like others said..when mine blows..a CR will be going in..

I thought you said when your 6l went you were doing a CR swap. What happen, Dads wallet woundnt extend that deep

LOL

Yep it blew about 6 months ago, it was becuase of the rings, about the same issue that Tory is having. And I got a new short block under warranty since my cylinder walls were cracked.I just bought new heads, but thanks for asking.

I didn't want to go all poser like yourself Rob, thats why I will stick with my leaker. I didn't get a bailout..I know your employer did..but it wont last. Also I have much more important priorities then my truck, IE my house wife and yard for that sake..LOL I wont spend 100k + like you.

LOL

Yep it blew about 6 months ago, it was becuase of the rings, about the same issue that Tory is having. And I got a new short block under warranty since my cylinder walls were cracked.I just bought new heads, but thanks for asking.

I didn't want to go all poser like yourself Rob, thats why I will stick with my leaker. I didn't get a bailout..I know your employer did..but it wont last. Also I have much more important priorities then my truck, IE my house wife and yard for that sake..LOL I wont spend 100k + like you.

My employer did not get a bail out. We purchased chrysler. We purchased them so they didnt go under...Their is a difference. As for posting things. Some people like to see the problems other are having with their truck to learn from them. I spent money on my truck cause I can. I do have other priorities other than the truck. I have tried a ton of things over the years and have learned alot. You only see me posting about this truck. I will say I have another project truck I purchased and hoping to have it done by next year if TS event is around.

Well I wont keep you from boxing up your welded up intakes.

purchased Chrysler..damn that was a smart move..LMFAO

I wont derail your thread anymore Tory, hope you get it fixed.

just sitting here watching the boring bar go around . waiting to to get home.

My employer did not get a bail out. We purchased chrysler. We purchased them so they didnt go under...Their is a difference. As for posting things. Some people like to see the problems other are having with their truck to learn from them. I spent money on my truck cause I can. I do have other priorities other than the truck. I have tried a ton of things over the years and have learned alot. You only see me posting about this truck. I will say I have another project truck I purchased and hoping to have it done by next year if TS event is around.

Well I wont keep you from boxing up your welded up intakes.

Sorry for getting off topic here, but rob, I just found out there will be no TS event anymore. I heard that another event is gonna be taking place of the TS event and it's in Pennsylvania this saturday. There's going to be a truck pull, drag racing and dyno event.

Sorry for getting off topic here, but rob, I just found out there will be no TS event anymore. I heard that another event is gonna be taking place of the TS event and it's in Pennsylvania this saturday. There's going to be a truck pull, drag racing and dyno event.

Next may 2010.. I dont think TS is ruled out for next year

Sorry Rob, but i was just informed that TS wasn't having one anymore and that this weekends pull that is going to be a NADM event in Numidia, PA at Numidia dragway park was taking place of the TS event even though they aren't the same time of the year. But maybe my informant is wrong...we'll just hafta wait and see i guess.