Fire ring problems

Compoundvinny

Everyone is telling me that fire ringing is bad for daily driving and they say that's why I blew my head gasket I have 14mm studs holding the head down and they told me to go with O ringing instead less maintenance but I'm pushing 70 75 pound should I stick with the fire ring or go with the o ring the block is not fire ringed just the head is

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 0
I've got probably 100k on a fire ring head. Never changed the rings or had a problem. If you have them I would put them back in. You need to retorque the head ever so often to make sure the rings stay seated

You need to check them after a few heat cycles. Then I would check them every week till they stop moving. I checked mine once a month for the next few months. Then i throw the wrench on every couple oil changes.

I'd go with a MLS gasket and not worry about rings.

I only torque the initial 3 times and then don't touch them again.

Now what consists of a heat cycle and people are telling me that you have to ring the block to but the shop that did it only did the head people are telling me it won't seal right if the head is just ringed is that true

I found more problems with machining and the wire , using a haisley kit to the proper specs I have had zero problems .

Last edited:
Now what consists of a heat cycle and people are telling me that you have to ring the block to but the shop that did it only did the head people are telling me it won't seal right if the head is just ringed is that true

You need to stop listening to these people who are feeding you this crap. You only need one or the other done. Either the head or the block. Sure if you want to do both you can and it does hold better but requires a different ring. What you have will work fine. Heat cycle is just that. Run it to temp and let it cool down. Retorque. Drive easy a couple times. Retorque.

That is why I joined this forum my buddy told me about this forum and said everyone is out to help everyone on the forum and there are knowledgeable guys on here thank you for answering my question Jeremy

Only way to truly do an MLS gasket on anything is to check the RA value of the surface finish on both the head and the block. It requires a low value for MLS gaskets. Less than 30 microinches would be ok. Some modern stuff can get it down to 10 or less.

Refer to above statement on Ra values. MLS gaskets require extremely smooth finishes.