Fire ring problems

And what feature about a "rougher" RA would allow this, versus a "smoother" RA?

Something smart goes here

Because head gasket manufacturers specify which RA value is needed...

A soft composite gasket doesn't require near the surface finish that a coated piece of steel does.

May or my not help with the mls... Just had the same conversation when I dropped my head/engine off at the machine shop, after mentioning running just the mls and having the concern of being perfect and flat. They said the same after seeing how the previous builder had it surfaced... "how did this thing hold a gasket?" Then showed me a head they just did. Surfaces were night and day. Mine had ridges you could almost catch a nail on, theirs was smooth like glass.

What mine looked like... you can see the ridges from the previous builders machine process
A3A5B57F-4566-404D-8033-D92D51505F5F_zpsegu4rhue.jpg

Their work...
1A10B5E8-DAFF-424A-989F-87D7F71EDA97_zpssmp7xpqt.jpeg

I don't think the two of you understand me so I'm going to stop before you become more aggravated.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can clarify... Biggy isn't arguing. He wants to know why/how "smoother than glass" seals better than a rougher surface finish. Many OEMs want "rough" and visible machine marks and will give you a peepee spanking for attempting to smooth the machining marks out with a roloc disc...

Yes. I want the word asperity to appear in an intelligent and coherent statement. Not "Because I said So, because my machinist told me, and he is the the ****."

What I may or may not know need not play a role in the conversation ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperity_(materials_science) )

[qoute] The relationship between frictional interactions and asperity geometry is complex and poorly understood. It has been reported that an increased roughness may under certain circumstances result in weaker frictional interactions while smoother surfaces may in fact exhibit high levels of friction owing to high levels of true contact [/quote]

Last edited:
Back