First Drive Went Horribly Wrong!!

Another thing to do. As you tighten the nut to the gear, tap on the gear surface to help it along. thats a good way to make sure the gear is as far as it can go on the shaft.

Timing

My money is on slipped timing.

Had my timing slip a few years ago. Truck would backfire and make the coolest smoke rings about 8' in diameter LOL

Well if you've been following my build you know i've been having some troubles lately finishing up my 1997 12v build. Last night i finished up installing the valair dd and got everything else buttoned up. FINALLY!!!
Anyway, I took it around the block real slow and came right back to the house to check all the fluids ect. and all was good. I grabbed my girlfriend and we were going to grab a bite to eat when it all went south!:bang
About 6 blocks from my house when i pulled out onto the main road i accelerated slowly(less than 10psi boost) and then heard a "pop" or a "bang" looked in the mirror and saw a cloud of smoke, couldn't tell what color it was dark out, and the truck shut off.
Now it will turn over freely but doesn't even consider firing! Where do i start guys? Does is sound like a headgasket? (please say no) I had the head oringed, ARP's installed and torqued 4 times to 125# with one heatcycle included. I didn't look really close but i can't see anything leaking. the oil
looks clear and the antifreeze is still bright green.

Kasey you make me nervous!!! I too just got mine together and running last night!!!!!! Gonna test drive tomarrow. Good luck with it and hope it was the timing.

When I install a pump nut I go a bit tighter than just till the engine spins over. I will hold the balancer bolt with long breaker bar and tighten the pump nut until it stops or my wrist and elbow clicks twice..

Kasey you make me nervous!!! I too just got mine together and running last night!!!!!! Gonna test drive tomarrow. Good luck with it and hope it was the timing.

When I install a pump nut I go a bit tighter than just till the engine spins over. I will hold the balancer bolt with long breaker bar and tighten the pump nut until it stops or my wrist and elbow clicks twice..

I'll let you know what happens in the morning!

Do not worry about the torque spec for the nut on the pump, turn it until it starts to turn the motor over, then it is tight enough. Definitely sounds like slipped timing to me.

really?... why would you give out advice like that?! i bet you if you did that that the nut would be around maybe 120 ft. lb. not near enough torque. Cummins spec. is 144 ft. lb. i take the nut to about 160 ft lb. with no issues. things have a torque spec for a reason. make damn sure that there is no oil on the shaft or pump gear taper. good luck with your problem!

Wes

:rockwoot:It's Alive!!:rockwoot:

I would like to give everybody who helped a big thank you!! Comp D proves itself again!:bow::bow:

The timing slipped back to nearly 0*. I retimed, cleaned, and dried the pump shaft VERY well with a new lock washer and torqued the nut to 155 ft/lbs. I also took Snedge's advise, again, and tapped the gear on the shaft before tightening the nut. I put about 20 miles on it just around town tonight being very easy on the new clutch and all seems well!

Thanks again Comp D:Cheer:

really?... why would you give out advice like that?! i bet you if you did that that the nut would be around maybe 120 ft. lb. not near enough torque. Cummins spec. is 144 ft. lb. i take the nut to about 160 ft lb. with no issues. things have a torque spec for a reason. make damn sure that there is no oil on the shaft or pump gear taper. good luck with your problem!

Wes

Try it once Wes, you might be surprised. Using this method I have never had one slip, when I put it to spec I have had them slip.

Cool deal man, glad to hear it was an easy fix especially after the work you've put in on that setup!

Good to hear its going again!:Cheer: If you do timing again I use electrical contact cleaner and torque to 160 and have never had one slip. IMO the electrical cleaner cleans the shaft better and leaves no residue, all the brake cleaners I have tried did and also wouldn't spray upside down.

Is this statement ironic to everyone, or just me?

Ha ha yeah but I do the same thing. Every time I do timing I think of the idea of pulling too hard on the pump shaft or something along those lines but these things are pretty damn beefy and i've never had any issues at around 165 ft-lbs.

Is this statement ironic to everyone, or just me?

oopps... yea it is, my statement of things have a torque spec was directed toward 06 diesel and him saying that just tightening the nut untill the engine starts to move, and it will be tight enough. i know 100% for sure that is not enough torque, trust me i have tried, and it takes less than 125 ft. lb. of torque to move the engine, i have done alot of vp44's recently, and i have tried to get away with just clicking the torque wrench without holding the engine from moving, and every time the engine moves before the torque wrench clicks, and the torque spec. for a vp44 is? 125ft. lb. why would you want to "guess" where the torque is? it's a known fact that it doesent take much for these things to slip, wouldn't you want to do eveything possible to keep that from happening? Cummins even came out with a bulletin stating that the torque for the p7100 pump for all applications was not enough from the published spec. they changed it to 144 ft. lbs. that's why i said that i take them up to 160ft. lb. i know some people that go even more, i think 160 is more than enough, and wont go past that. If the shaft is as clean as you can get it, i doubt that you will have to worry about the timing slipping again. im not trying to start a battle with you 06 diesel, i like to educate people about diesel mechanics, and fix things and make then run better, i feel that your statement of "yea just tighten it untill the engine starts to move" is the wrong kind of advice you would want to give out to somebody who is looking to maybe do this kind of repair. Beers for everyone!!!!

Wes

i agree with using the cummins torque spec or a little more. With no key or anything, they slip very easy. Hey where do I get that beer?????:Cheer:

Back