First time pulling...

Shifty

Learning...
I took the day off today and went to the first pull of the season in Chestertown Maryland... It was a nice day, we were fighting rain most of the morning, but we all drove there and back with no problems... I did have a bit of bad luck in the morning on the way there, a guy was pulling into a parking lot on his motorcycle, I was sitting there waiting to pull out, and he ran right into the side of me...lol... It did some damage to the door, cab corner, and bed... He wants to pay cash so I have to get an estimate this week, but he was ok... I definitely got bit by the pulling/diesel bug today, my wife didn't seem too happy for some reason...lol... Anyway, here's the videos...

John has the black Chevy Duallie with a 12 Valve Cummins motor swap...

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/Gnewc4/Trucks and Pulling/?action=view&current=MJohn.flv

I have the Green 2500 Ram and Bobby has a white one, both with 12 valves...

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/Gnewc4/Trucks and Pulling/?action=view&current=MGavin1.flv

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/Gnewc4/Trucks and Pulling/?action=view&current=MGavin2.flv

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/Gnewc4/Trucks and Pulling/?action=view&current=MBobby.flv

I don't know but I was kinda dissappointed with my truck... I only pulled 237, the white truck got a best of 213, and the Black Chevy pulled 375...lol... It was the first time out in the Chevy with the new injectors, pump, turbo, Air Dog system, but we were pretty happy with the results...

You can't win them all. Your pull wasn't but 3 ft shorter than my first pull. It gets better the more you do it. Kinda addictive!

Definitely addictive...lol... I'm sure I'll have some more video's soon... Hahahaha... I can't wait to go to the next one...

If the weather holds out the 3rd attempt at a Test&Tune pull will be at the Washington County MD Ag Center next Sat @ 10am.

1st order of business for you should be some adjustable suspension stops.....man your truck was SQUAT'N!!!

Yea, I noticed that... I'm going to have to do something...

What size tires are you running with what gearing? You were in low range right? Did you build any boost before launching with the sled? Hard to tell from your video.

If your trans is stock I wouldn't launch any more than 10PSI or your being :stab: breaking a shaft. Get you a front reciever hitch weld up a driver side offset bracket throw on some weight....maybe go to a smaller tire (those look like 35's...not good) throw some more fuel to it get some bump stops and you'll be farther down the track next time!:rockwoot:

Hey Shifty, what are you running for a transmission, and what are your mods? It sounds to me like you have the power, but it isnt getting to the ground...

Eric

It has 33"(305-70-16) tires on it right now... It has a stock replacement converter with a stock transmission(Both less than a year old)... I know that's limiting me at the moment, but I'm not ready to drop all the money to buy a built trans...lol... It has 370 injectors, #4 plate, 3GSK, and that's about it... I'm trying to figure out what direction to go with the truck, do I buy an Air Dog, some other goodies and start building??? Or do I put the money into my T-Type and use the truck to pull it around like I was originally thinking...

It has 33"(305-70-16) tires on it right now... It has a stock replacement converter with a stock transmission(Both less than a year old)... I know that's limiting me at the moment

That size tire is fine.......yes the trans is what it limiting you at the time. That a good hitch, suspension stops, and hanging weight will go A LONG way....heck just the trans will go a long way! LoL

I'm trying to figure out what direction to go with the truck, do I buy an Air Dog, some other goodies and start building??? Or do I put the money into my T-Type and use the truck to pull it around like I was originally thinking...

Sell all your vehicles except for the truck. Then use the money you have to build the truck:evil

Sell all your vehicles except for the truck. Then use the money you have to build the truck:evil

Says the man with the '07 Dirtymax in the driveway......and the full blown 97 pulling truck in the barn out back!!:umno:LOL

I have to over power the trans so it breaks and I don't have a choice but to replace it...lol... What would you guys suggest next??? I'm thinking about doing the mack plug, 191 delivery valves, advance the timing, and an air dog system... That should keep me happy for a while so I can save up for my trans and converter... Anybody have any imput on those extra parts for some more power??? I hear the lazer cuts would be too much for my set up, and not optimal for a street truck...

It has 370 injectors, #4 plate, 3GSK, and that's about it... I'm trying to figure out what direction to go with the truck, do I buy an Air Dog, some other goodies and start building???

Your not on the verge of needing an aux. supply pump yet.....get a fuel pressure gauge installed...then you will know on down the line when you can start draining the OEM mechanical pump its time for a Aux. pump.

PM member "Bouncer" and ask him he's had his pump off and on a flow bench to be upgraded....he's now flowing twice as many CC's of fuel and can drain his OEM lift pump. ;)

With a stock transmission you wont get anywhere pulling other than having a lot of fun. You just cant put the power down like you need to to move that heavy sled. I pulled a couple times with a stock converter, and it just lets the motor wind way up but doesent put the power on the ground. Forget the air dog, and buy a converter, valve body, and billet input:ft:

Says the man with the '07 Dirtymax in the driveway......and the full blown 97 pulling truck in the barn out back!!:umno:LOL

:doh:LOL

IMO shifty you already have more than your stock trans can handle. If you want a little more power Id suggest grinding that plate down to a 0. and then advancing the timing to about 16 or 17*. Also make sure your AFC is adjusted properly so its not limiting your fueling. And im assuming youre still running the stock turbo? I think the transmission should be the next thing you spend a lot of money on, then maybe consider upgrading the turbo.