Flexalite Electric fans

i've heard the same but haven't really gotten a clear reason why, seems like they'd be better since they flow more air but i'm no expert so there must be something i'm missing

In Diesel Power the put these on their project 12 valve and it raised their mpg's by 3. Sounds pretty good to me, but was also wondering why they recommend no heavy towing.

i've heard the same but haven't really gotten a clear reason why, seems like they'd be better since they flow more air but i'm no expert so there must be something i'm missing

The stock fan flows 10,000+cfm. The flex a lites don't flow near that much. Flex a lite themselves even recommends not towing heavy with them.

Hey guys, I did the writeup on the dually. Actual mileage was 1-3mpg more, but it was always higher than my previous readings. The mileage testing was all freeway and the fans were set to come on at about 200 degrees to save on alternator drag, which meant they never came on. We did a tow test up a 6% grade at 70mph with 8000 lbs and the truck got up to 220 degrees in two minutes, so I would be leery towing with them. The truck got hot, but it never did actually overheat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I run a dual setup on my 95. its only got a 5.7 and i hate the fact i sold my clutch fan and shroud. THEY SUCK. if my truck sets, it will burry the needle in the summer. winter times it still gets hot and tends to run hot, and im running a 180* t stat. i have a sweet set of Spal Fans laying in my shop for it, build in shrouds s blade fans, i just need a big block radiator...

I wouldnt recommend from experience unless its bein used as a pushed to help stock, that would be about it. also would the loss of CFM hurt your intercooler or anything from working at 100%?

Here is the link for the thread I stated when I did mine last June.

http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11016

I have ran them ever since and had zero issues with them and they have performed flawlessly.I have only towed once and it was late in the Fall where I went into Upstate NY to bring back a 69 Big Block Dart with an open trailer.the temps outside were cool enough that the fans never ran when I rolled through the Endless Mountain region of NE PA.I have had them come on when it was above 90 degrees and humid late in the summer but they cooled the truck down quickly and it never overheated.

I am not sure what the actual fan CFM is for the factory setup in full lockup.There are many numbers out there and none are confirmed what it really is.In my application the Flex-A-lites have done all I have asked and with Winter here I can honestly say I have not seen them run at all.Would I tow heavy with them if I had the chance,yes and would have no problems doing it.Until the fans showed me they could not handle the job I have enough confidence in them to use them.

Norris..
You say they suck but do not say what brand your using on your gasser pig or if you made any attempts to change the setting to have them come on lower.How could anyone make a judgement based on your comments since you do not provide all the info?.The Flex-A-Lites cause no harm to the charge air cooler or the radiator.

While I understand that they are not cheap,nor are they for everyone,the Flex-A-Lites have done all I asked and more.Good looks and great functionality are what would make me buy them again.....Andy

Good to hear. I know you and I had discussed them after you put them on. Glad they are working for ya. I'm still not convinced though that they could handle the heat down here with the AC and traffic.

I am thinking about putting these on my race truck, they claim 27hp gain, which every little bit helps

Kevin

fans

just wanted to support hammer's $.02 mine have worked perfectly since i have installed them. if this is the same Hammer from DTR i think he has some pictures of the fans that i emailed him awhile back if you guys want to see them mounted and a all alum. custom radiator for the cummins? maybe he'll post them?

Remember the 27hp gain is verses a stock truck with the fan clutch fully locked. If yours isn't locked, the gain might be only 10hp or so.

I would NOT use Flex-a-lites stuff. I had some on a Sierra I had and couldn't tow with them. Also Ask some of the racers here, they will end your day of racing as the motors are junk.....

fans

truthfully i didn't notice any hp gain (butt-o-meter) i done them to use with the elec. h2o pump to cool and circulate coolant while the truck is turned off.

One thing I found on a 12v...it can be a PITA to set timing on your truck with the fans in it...they are closer to the front of the engine than the stock fan.

I modified mine to be removable so I can adjust timing!

Chris

i have the Flex-A-Lites sitting here just waiting to go in......if it would only stop snowing :bang

I have run the flex lites now for a full year .

I have drag raced Pulled and burnout contests ect and its a daily driver and I have yet to have any issues I myself think they are worth the money and are better than the stock fan that over heated the truck on more than 1 occasion doing the same stuff $.02 James

I love mine for the MI winters. Quicker warm-ups, steadier coolant temps, and with a 160 tstat, the temp NEVER gets over 190-ish. I haven't towed heavy enough yet to say good nor bad about them, but like hammer stated i wouldn't think twice about it!

Back