Fluid damper, ATI damper or stock damper

jesnic

The front crank damper is about to come apart. I started the truck last week and it was making the worst screaming noise I have ever heard. I looked under the hood and saw the damper wobbling pretty bad. Shut it down and appears like a chunk of rubber from the damper has gone AWAL. It has been leaking oil recently (pretty bad). I am sure the oil is coming from the front seal and the damper has been going bad for a while. Just couldn't hear it over the motor. So, question is, what is the difference in all the dampers and why is there a huge price difference? Truck has 270,000 miles on stock balancer. Keep with the factory one or aftermarket? I will have to replace the damper and the timing cover seal. Not sure if I need a speedy seal yet or not. It is probably wallowed out pretty good. It is a pretty bad oil leak.

I just spoke with one of the guys from G&J about this the other day..he said that the Fluidamper is great if you will be staying above 2 thousand rpms, which is where the fluid actually gets thrown out to the case of the damper and goes to work. A stock damper is junk out of the box new. A solid damper is the way to go such as an ATI or equivalent..it made sense to me, hope this helps you out.

Interesting so many like fluidampr on cummins. Duramax world is ATI hands down.

Other than someone saying that they are "happy" with xx damper, what are some facts that support one being better than the other for our engines? I would like to quiet down my dual disk but if that's all it does its not worth the money. Need facts not just it "works".

Also why wouldn't a guy just throw a marine damper on that is fluid type and call it a day?

Fluidampr for sure!

I originally purchased an ATI years ago. I received it with a chip taken out of it like someone dropped it. I immediately contacted the dealer and ATI was being stubborn. ATI themselves were convinced I had dropped it and were not willing to replace it even though right after it was delivered I inspected and made the call so it's not like I waited and had it for very long.

After 2 months the situation finally was resolved. It bothered me how difficult that was to deal with so I went with a Fluidampr, very happy with the end decision.