Fluid flow through cooler

mxhunter147

Gear Head
On my 06 I recently swapped my g56 for a built 48re. I'm running a factory dodge cooler by itself. My fluid temps get extremely hot if my converter is unlocked. I thought the thermostat was sticking because the fins part of the cooler doesn't feel even warm compared to the pipe around the outside of the cooler, so I pulled it out.

Temps still get hot and the fins aren't hot. So is this because I have the lines hooked to the cooler backwards causing the fluid to just bypass the fins? Or does it matter..

IIRC the thermostat in the cooler is open when the temps are cooler allowing the fluid to by pass the cooler. if it was stuck open then it would just by pass. taking the thermostat out and not blocking the passage would still allow the fluid to by pass the cooler.

Ok so I'll put that back in. Does it matter which direction the fluid flows?

Thermostat? Checkvalve...

On a 48re, fluid comes out the front port and returns into the rear port.

Are you saying drill out the piece in the upper right of the trans cooler? Because I don't really know what part to drill out?

Stole this from CF.

"It's an anti-drain back valve. The main reason for it being there is so the fluid remains in the line and you don't have to wait for the fluid to build back up before moving and the other is to actually slow the flow of fluid down so it stays in the cooler longer allowing the temp to cool slightly more before entering the trans again."

One thing you can do and this was told to me buy a tranny shop is to start in neutral on all the Dang dodge trannys with check valves. This makes the fluid flow when you start the engine, then the valve is less likely to stick. I did it on my Dakota ever since and know I do it on my 03 CR.