Fly Cutting Tooling

Valve reliefs are relatively easy to cut in the motor. The tool is an old valve with a couple peices of tool steel cutters silver soldered onto the face of the valve. We used three evenly spaced to keep it from chattering
For depth protection use a drill bit collar and measure the needed depth, set the set screw, and then set the valve into the head, and spin with a hand drill untill you hit the depth stop.
You will need two cutters, one intake and one exhaust
On a V8 this is an easy operation, but with the heaviness of our heads, may be a bit of a chore- however it is "cheap" and relativley easy to do if your money is tight

I can fly cut your pistons. I'll draw them up in auto-cad and show them to you.

I should add that this will be using a small bridgeport, and my limited machining experience.

That link Rods posted is a good idea, just need a more agressive cut.

But your auto cad files dont jive with my CNC and blew the main frame last time

Last edited:
You need to upgrade your stuff. Not my fault noah used your cnc to build the ark. :hehe:

I have the best there is. I'm willing to give you a class on how to use the software properly

We actually have a single cylinder head that we use to mark pistons with different pistons and valve sizes. Hammering the valves into the pistons to get the outline of the valve is pretty good if you don't get carried away. Prussian blue is not as exact but is safer for newbies.

Unshrouding the valves can be accomplished with a radiused cutter just fine.

id go with zachs idea with the blue....smacking a pointed valve with a hammer is a bad idea. can cause tiny stress cracks that could fatigue over time (or so says my FAA airframe book)

cenia, are you still holding leonards engine hostage?

Back