Food for thought for a quiet exhaust.

Figure I'll give some feedback on Wally's resonator. IT WORKS ! My wifes truck had a straight pipe with only a MBRP muffler. You could hear that thing coming for miles. The drone wasn't extreme but, it was long.

Well, I replaced muffler thinking it had it's days. Installed a Aeroturbine which helped quite it down a little but, not near enough. So, I went ahead and got the SS resonator from FTE and man, I'm hear to tell you it's like night and day. The truck is quiet and yet still has a killer diesel sound to it. The wife is happy so, you know how that makes life :)

Happy wife happy life! These resonators are great. I've been playing with my exhaust for years trying many different mufflers and resonators. The drone in an Excursion can be killer. FTE resonators work wonders.

Night and day difference. so much quieter, that now i can hear ever other thing rattle lol. now i kinda regret going to a billet tappet cover.

Interesting thread for the old folks LOL ....I found this at the SEMA show

Dynomax Muffler

It's a 3-inch muffler with a valve in it that closes at light loads...like most new Corvettes and Ferrari's do.

The cool part is that it flows 800+cfm at full bore, which is enough for most stock turbo trucks, and if it's not, heck run two, diesels have the space.

Not sure how it will work once it is filled with soot, which is why they may not have marketed it to the diesel crowd yet.

saw these, wondered about the warranty (hate to spend $100+ on a welded muffler and the linkage malfunction)

I want to make something like that now. Hmm...

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

For whatever it is worth the spool flange has quieted my exhaust down quite a bit. I did put a steed manifold on at the same time. Even when both volutes are open the exhaust is substantially quieter.

Finish the exhaust tonight, went from a 5" pipe dumping before the rear tire, no muffler. To 4" system with 30"resonator/muffler and with the windows down and no radio, I can only hear the rattle of the engine. Cruising at 1600 rpm, windows up.. I only hear the radio

Basically only 2 options available.... lots of part numbers due to inlet and outlet sizes as well as material to match your needs [ stainless steel or Aluminized case].

17" unit is termed the "Resonator" when installed at the downpipe it will eliminate the majority of the drone experienced by most users with aftermarket or straight pipe free flowing systems. We state that a 50 RPM range will still tingle in the cab, however the current 300-450 RPM drone concern will be controlled. Tailpipe sound is not much affected.

30" unit is termed the "Resonator / Muffler" when installed at the downpipe will eliminate ALL of the drone experienced by most users with aftermarket or straight pipe free flowing systems. The 30" unit also tones down the sound from the tailpipe, hence the muffler tag.....

Keep in mind that sound is subjective, in life there are blondes, brunettes, and redheads....each doing different things for each of us.

So when deciding what you want or need, simply ask do you want it gone or do you want it better?

Neither version gains EGT's or hinders power....

We have had success on every pickup truck and combination available... 6.6 dmax, 5.9 cummins in 12V / 24V / CR, 6.7 Liter Cummins, 7.3 PSD, 6.0 PSD, 6.4 PSD and even the new 6.7 liter stoker.

as mentioned above, sound is subjective.... when people want to know what it sounds like we can never really answer that.... it's a cab noise control product that was built from the start to control CAB drone on pick up trucks without spark plugs with an average engine displacement of 5.9 Liters.

Waking this thread back up...

Got my stock motor / stock turbo in my truck now and it's too dang loud (Inside and Out) for my taste (Old guy).

I have a turbo back 5" silverline SS exhaust system with the silverline straight through muffler.

Should I just replace the muffler with a 30" FTE resinator/muffler or can I add it to the front of the system and leave the silverline muffler in place?

OR just install the 17" in the front.

If it'll fit and I won't have to hack up my pipe too much to get it to fit, I'm leaning toward adding the 30" FTE in addition to the muffler already in place.

Where / Who should I purchase from?? Recommendations?

Last edited:
Add the 30" resonator just off the DP and leave the muffler. The resonator is the same OD as any other piece of pipe. It just slips on and clamps in place. I fully welded my exhaust though...clamped joints can throw in a harmonic drone.

Order from Wally at FTE.

Add the 30" resonator just off the DP and leave the muffler. The resonator is the same OD as any other piece of pipe. It just slips on and clamps in place. I fully welded my exhaust though...clamped joints can throw in a harmonic drone.

Order from Wally at FTE.

Awesome! Thanks!

I run a FTE resonator and muffler on my 12 valve, 4 inch aftermarket exhaust and I love it, would not change it at all