Ford F350 Cummins 6.7 Conversion

gbknox

I'm new to the site and my apologies if this issue has already been addressed. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me to help with a small issue. I have a 2004 Ford F350 that had (had) a Powerstroke 6.0 in it. After 2 engine deaths, I decided to put a Cummins 6.7 out of a 2009 in it. The conversion was a little rocky but I made it through it. I'm running the 5R110 behind the Cummins. I initially ran the PCS Transmission Controller but I just could stand the harsh shifts anymore. I went back to the Ford PCM/TCM. I connected the Cummins APPS to the Ford APPS and seem to have the ratio's and outputs close. The truck shifts awesome now. No more whiplash going to drive or reverse and 3rd gear is smooth. The only thing I would like to fix is the idle. I'm not sure I can even do anything with it though. Since the Cummins ECM is setup as a manual transmission, the idle runs around 800 RPM. When you drop it into gear, the idle drops briefly but the jumps right back to 800 RPM's. It's not a huge deal but it's hard to hold it back for sure. I'm running EFI Live tuning. If anyone has any knowledge of how to slow this baby down a little, that would be awesome.

In case I left something out, below is what I'm currently running

2004 Ford F350
2009 Cummins 6.7 ISB
2007.5 ECM (at the time I converted, the 2009 ECM's would brick when trying to get rid of the EGR, DFP and SKIM)
5R110 Transmission
Precision Industries 1600 Stall Converter
Dual APPS (Ford and Cummins)
Ford and Cummins MAP sensors
Destroked Tach Adapter
Powerstroke 7.3 Fan
Dodge V10 (1999) Fan Clutch
Two 10" SPAL Electric Fans for A/C Condenser
Thanks
Gary

I would think that should be something EFI related. I'd definitely pick your tuner's brain on that matter.

See if your EFI tuner has access to to the idle settings if not it may take a trip to a Cummins dealer to get it reset lower.

Back