Ford glow plug system to run grid heaters

Mofugra

How are people running their grid heaters after they do a swap..Ive read that some are using a toggle switch to run them and that seems like an easy way to do it, but i'd rather try and tie it into the ignition and the wait to start light if possible..So has anyone ever used the fords glow plug relay setup to run a grid heater...Im not sure how or if it would work just trying to think of a clean way to wire them up....Oh and i dont really want to run them to a switch just incase I or somebody else accidentally leaves them on, or i ask the gf to go start my truck and she cant figure it out, etc etc..

i am gonna do the same thing too the only other way else i thought was go off a oil pressure switch but i really want it to work like orginal

I believe a 90 or 91 5.9 CUMMINS in a DODGE truck used an auxilary intake heater controller that was mounted on the fenderwell and had a circuit in it to control a wait to start light.

Put the EOT sensor in the rear port on the head coolant port and make sure the blue sense wire is on the GP side and it will run off the temp table from the PCM

I think we ran a heavy duty solenoid 100 percent duty cycle 200 amp, with a momentary switch. (this way you won't leave it on.) Worked really well and fairly easy to do.

Thanks for the info. I think I might try and use the solenoid you mentioned but have a timed relay linked to the ignition run it. Just not sure how long to time it. Oh well trial and error I guess

I think we ran a heavy duty solenoid 100 percent duty cycle 200 amp, with a momentary switch. (this way you won't leave it on.) Worked really well and fairly easy to do.

X2 You wont need it unless its real cold I have started 3 different motors as low as 18 degrees without them.

on another note...if you live in a cold climate, I would advise you to hook up the fuel heater through a relay as well. I had trouble with fuel gelling a few times before I did this. Or run a crap ton of additive to it...

18* I wish that was as cold as it gets, we regularly see -20 to 30 C. I went all last winter with no fuel heater on my ppumped 24v, I was told they cause more trouble than they're worth.

As for the grids I picked up two cummins Grid heater relays so I'm going to use those. If anyone wants the part number I can post it up. I think they are a beefier version of the ones dodge woulda used back in the day(94-97)

I am currently up at camp now with limited internet from my phone but I got your email and I will see if I have another sensor like the one we talked about.