FPP/USA-East Pro Stock Diesel 4x4 Class

RJFPP

Here is a question that has been asked to the Full Pull Productions/ USA-East Sled Pulling Tech Committee in regards the Pro Stock Diesel class.

Allow a crew cab 8 foot bed truck to get rid of the crew cab part thus making the 8 foot bed into a 10 foot bed but would still retain the factory wheelbase and factory style bed. Basically just adding onto the existing bed while still using all OEM materials.

What would be the Pros and Cons of allowing such a configuration? Thanks in advance and fire away.

We have some 3.0 trucks that are two door with a 10' box. Just the oem box stretched out. The bedsides will weigh less than the cab.

Posted while playing HALO 4

Here is a question that has been asked to the Full Pull Productions/ USA-East Sled Pulling Tech Committee in regards the Pro Stock Diesel class.

Allow a crew cab 8 foot bed truck to get rid of the crew cab part thus making the 8 foot bed into a 10 foot bed but would still retain the factory wheelbase and factory style bed. Basically just adding onto the existing bed while still using all OEM materials.

What would be the Pros and Cons of allowing such a configuration? Thanks in advance and fire away.

What is the wheelbase limit for the class???

Seems like money spent for nothing much other than guys trying to gain an advantage with a long wheelbase truck and put more weight on the nose.

If I were in that class I would say "is this really moving the class forward?" and then reply "no."

That being said, if no one in the class gives a crap, have at it, I guess. But I don't see your short trucks agreeing to helping out the long trucks even more!

This question probably wouldn't be asked if you had a drawbar length as a % of the wheelbase rule.

Last edited:
The two door long bed duramax durty deere is possibly the most competitive truck in the isp circuit. Wheel base is not everything.

Posted while playing HALO 4

ISP runs a percentage hitch rule, evens the playing field for long and short wheel base.

My opinion the crew cab long beds need to go away in every class except a street class. If your building a full blown puller with big rears then 155-158 is long enough. if they are pulling the cab to put a light cab on then they need to shorten the frame.

The issue here is that most 3.0 truck pulls have 15 to 20 dodge ext cab trucks, 3 or 4 ext or club cab chevy trucks and a couple of Fords. Why not allow some different body styles in so that the fans don't have to watch 15 or 20 dodge ext cab trucks pull at most events.The rules allow engine/body cross-overs. As long as the 158" whealbase, oem frame and OEM steel body are met...whats the big deal? If your worried about weight issues...make reg cab stretched wheelbase trucks carry another 100 lbs over the rear axel.
This issue has come up because I want to put a 1948 Ford F3 truck body on a Dodge ext cab frame with the 5.9 cummins, which means the bed will have to be stretched. I dont feel the 134" stock whealbase could ever compete with 158"......Ok Guys.....(dodge boys)Tear me down!
R.K.

As long as the truck has a 158" wheelbase then i dont see a issue.

If some one is stretching a reg cab frame then it should be done with a piece of factory frame not chromemoly or other tubing. We just had this discussion today (East Coast series) about allowing reg cab trucks to stretch the frame to meet the 158 rule. I dont see any difference here. All your doing is adding a piece of bed and floor not a piece of frame or wanting to run a 170+ wheelbase in a 158 class

Last edited:

If some one is stretching a reg cab frame then it should be done with a piece of factory frame not chromemoly or other tubing. We just had this discussion today (East Coast series) about allowing reg cab trucks to stretch the frame to meet the 158 rule. I dont see any difference here. All your doing is adding a piece of bed and floor not a piece of frame or wanting to run a 170+ wheelbase in a 158 class

Agree 100%

I can/will extend it with frame material, If the rules will allow it. Thanks for your support!....RJ?

How is it not?

What about the competition will be improved if you have a couple loooong bed trucks? Money spent for nothing....just like protrusion in 2.6....it just wasted everyone's time and money.

Playing games with lengthening beds and stretching the frames seems like a just another way to burn money to no benefit.

But hey if the guys in the class really want to spend their time on this, by all means, go ahead....so they can all have loooong frames and be aaaaaaaalllll equal. LOL

Last edited:
Besides, you know some douchenozzle will take a short bed box, cut the front, and then put in 4' of long bed skins going forward, placing the rear axle back far enough that it's a huge advantage....leaving the other non-freak-of-nature trucks holding the bag.

What about the competition will be improved if you have a couple loooong bed trucks? Money spent for nothing....just like protrusion in 2.6....it just wasted everyone's time and money.

Playing games with lengthening beds and stretching the frames seems like a just another way to burn money to no benefit.

But hey if the guys in the class really want to spend their time on this, by all means, go ahead....so they can all have loooong frames and be aaaaaaaalllll equal. LOL

I 100% agree. Isn't that time and money spent stretching a frame and box better spent some where else?

As long as the wheel base stays with in 158" let 'em do it. I'd spend my time and money in other places. In the case of an older truck, just stay within the 158" wheel base.

I hear ya on the 158....but you know this is being asked for by someone who wants to go 167".

What I read into it is, "hey, can I hack my truck up so I can gain an advantage over the guy who doesn't want to hack his truck up?"

The sport is not about fabrication and body work tomfoolery, the last time I checked.

I just want it to be fair. 134" wheelbase will never compete with 158". And the lengthening of the bedsides will be the cheapest part of the whole project. The class also needs some variety. Most diesel truck pulls have become who has the best ext cab dodge truck....Time to mix it up some...my opinion.

The issue here is that most 3.0 truck pulls have 15 to 20 dodge ext cab trucks, 3 or 4 ext or club cab chevy trucks and a couple of Fords. Why not allow some different body styles in so that the fans don't have to watch 15 or 20 dodge ext cab trucks pull at most events.The rules allow engine/body cross-overs. As long as the 158" whealbase, oem frame and OEM steel body are met...whats the big deal? If your worried about weight issues...make reg cab stretched wheelbase trucks carry another 100 lbs over the rear axel.
This issue has come up because I want to put a 1948 Ford F3 truck body on a Dodge ext cab frame with the 5.9 cummins, which means the bed will have to be stretched. I dont feel the 134" stock whealbase could ever compete with 158"......Ok Guys.....(dodge boys)Tear me down!
R.K.

Ron just build your truck to the 158" wheelbase rule that 99% of the other organizations run and you should be fine. I know of at least 1 reg, cab truck w/ a 10' bed that hooked in the class last year. It usually takes a few years but fullpull's rules will eventually catch up with the rest of the country and put a actual wheelbase limit on the class.LOL