Fresh rebuild/compounds/ No boost/ help

KidCarson22

Hey, long time reader, just registered, first post.

I just got my truck running after a few months being down.
Here's the goodie list.

Brand new block and head from cummins
Bored .20 over. New mahle pistons
P&P head, and Oring
balanced crankshaft and rods
Stainless diesel T3 exhaust mani
180hp pump 460ccs from Seth Farrell
DDP stage 4 injectors
PDD beehives
PDD pushrods
Stage 4 colt camshaft
AFC LIVE
mishimoto intercooler
Crazy carl's piping kit
S363/68/14 over s475/92/1.10
Turbosmart 45mm external wastegate
Keating machine frost plugs and side cover
Fluid damper
Full billet tranny 47re triple disk tc
Traction bars, Dana 80 maghytec cover

Well the truck is running finally but its not making any boost.
Im getting 0-5psi out of the s475 And 10-15psi total. It really sound so like the s363 is over spinning. The smoke clears up fast but truck wont move. I've tried playing with lines going to wastegate but seems to make no difference. I don't hear it opening. It's dumping into the hotpipe. I think it's staying closed since it won't make boost but that doesn't make sense to me. Closed should mean full boost. My afc live makes no difference either. Turning the knobs has 0 effect, I've tried switching the lines. Fresh pump from Farrell so I don't think i need to mess with it. I don't know if my no boost issue is a fuel problem. What would cause the top turbo to over spin. Any help from the experienced on here would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
May be a dumb question, but only saying it because I witnessed a shop ruin a friend's turbo this way. Did you prim the turbo's? They didn't and locked his high pressure one up tight, had no boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, the 363 I used before as a single. And the new s475 I did prime. Both wheels spin freely by hand

Did you have afc live before when you were running the single 63 ? Mine doesn't make any boost if I forget to put the afc line back on or it pops off the back of the fitting

You aren't over spinning anything. Sounds like a fuel control issue to me. Can you take off the AFC and plumb it regularly to see it if changes it? Not saying that the AFC doesn't work or is defective but it would be a good place to start. And yes as others stated, verify your timing and also check your fuel pressure.

If it's not smoking like hell while staying in it with no boost it has to be something with the afc.

Disconnect the afc live and connect the afc housing to a boost source.

I put the stock line going from the head to the afc back in. Made no difference. Still no fuel plate in and I haven't touched the smoke screw or star wheel from what Seth Farrell set it at. soooo boost leak? Or is a fuel issue still probable?

I'd take the afc off and get your air gun and pressurize it in your hand and verify it moves freely and all the way to the end. Even better if you have a regulator on your air compressor you can set the air pressure to 40-45 lbs, and it will still travel fully at that pressure. You could also just remove the foot in the afc and run without it to see what it does if you don't have access to air.

Also look close nd the shut off solenoid and linkage, there is a keyway on the pump shaft that could be missing. When your running it with no boost does it pop at All? On a free rev will it run up quick to like 4000 without popping?

Its a metric keyway. And ive seen it before. Guy before me took it off and when he put the arm back he pushed the key out.