Frozen Truck

Haha yep then you were right up by me then. Yeah you get all that could air settling in a little mountain valley and it gets pretty cold. So where abouts do you live?

BLACK OUT said:
I finnally got it to start. I drained some fuel off from the fuel filter and it had some crystal looking things in it. So I sat it out in the sun to warm up and sprayed some ether in it and it started up with alot of white smoke and has started and ran fine since. Is it bad to use ether to start them? I've heard some trucks get addicted to it?

Sounds like you had either some water in the fuel or maybe just gunk buildup that crystallized. Do you run any type of fuel additive? If you don't, you might wanna start doing so.

BLACK OUT said:
But I've noticed at truck pulls alot of the bigger trucks use them to warm up so figured it couldn't be to bad

The engines in those are usually decompressed. So they don't have the heat on the compression stroke a normal engine would. So they have use something that ignites easier to get it running.

As cold as my motor was there was definetly no heat on the compression stroke of mine either haha

BLACK OUT said:
Why is that?
Exactly why its bad, I don't know. I do know its pritty easy to make an "ether-baby" out of a motor. It happens a lot with our equipment. With some of our older stuff it won't run period unless you give it a lil sniff. Then it roll's white smoke for a while once it starts. I don't know about you but I don't want that to happen to my daily driver.

-Rob

Dont know if it works on these trucks but I used to start the old Detroits on WD-40. Worked like a charm.

It'll work on any diesel, just be EASY with it, more than one head has been lifted using ether or WD-40.

BLACK OUT said:
Haha yep then you were right up by me then. Yeah you get all that could air settling in a little mountain valley and it gets pretty cold. So where abouts do you live?
north of K.C. Missouri about an hour

Yeah I've heard of diesels becoming addicted to ether and didn't want to use it but I didn't have much of a choice. The main reason I made the post was cause I didn't know what the crystal things in the diesel were. That and I figured someone else might be wondering the samething

Diesels don't get addicted to ether. If you have one that is "addicted" to ether you have a weak injector pump and it needs the ether to spin the motor fast enough for the injector pump to pump fuel. Ether is dangerous though, you have to be careful with it. If it won't start off a little bity short spray then leave it alone.

Also, fuel leaks will make a diesel not start or hard start in the winter.
If you have any leaks fix them before it gets colder.

yeah I'm pretty sure they don't. I don't think most aftermarket intakes leave a spot for them