fuel efficiency

It's a well known fact that wind resistance increases exponentially as MPH increases so the faster you go, the more wind resistance losses you'll experience. However, on modified setups, it seems that 5-10 psi boost pressure is required for peak motor efficiency. Cruising at 55mph with 0 boost has much less wind resistance than say cruising at 75mph with 5 psi boost, but that 5 psi boost in some instances will add more efficiency to the motor than the lost energy due to higher wind resistance.

I don't have a gauge in my 12 valve and it is in hibernation for the winter time, but I do have a manifold pressure gauge on my 24 valve. I'm gonna put this theory to the test!

You guys say what ya want! I know some guys have luck with 4:10s. If I was a betting man I would bet on a 3:55 truck getting better fuel mileage than an EQUIVALENT 4:10 truck all day. There are no facts to back that up. Just personal experience owning 4:10 trucks and friends owning 4:10 trucks.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

Well yes exactly if you have two identical trucks, one with 4.10 and one with 3.55 obviously the 3.55 truck is going to get better fuel mileage.

Just saying, making the statement that 4.10 trucks get worse fuel mileage than 3.55 trucks without considering other factors is an incorrect statement in my mind.

I hear ya. I agree. My point was 14 mpg doesn't always mean something is wrong if your rockin 4:10 gears.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

Well yes exactly if you have two identical trucks, one with 4.10 and one with 3.55 obviously the 3.55 truck is going to get better fuel mileage.

Just saying, making the statement that 4.10 trucks get worse fuel mileage than 3.55 trucks without considering other factors is an incorrect statement in my mind.

that also depends if you talking about All City or all highway, and how heavy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My truck has 4.10 gears and I have never fell below 19.5mpg. Cruising at 65 on the interstate I can pull 22-24 always hand calculated. I hate the gears for lack of speed on the top side but the cruising at 35 locked up in od without serious lugging is nice.

Last edited:
My truck has 4.10 gears and I have never fell below 19.5mpg. Cruising at 65 on the interstate I can pull 22-24 always hand calculated. I hate the gears for lack of speed on the top side but the cruising at 35 locked up in od without serious lugging is nice.

Lol I'm gear bound to 120.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Would going to a 155° injector work better with my pistons
or a bigger 145° with more timing be Better? My last tank got 11.8 mpg. I have a lead on a hardly used set of 370's I may be able to try for a bit.