Fuel Filter

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
To what Micron does the stock fuel filter filter down to?

I'm working on a new fuel system for my truck that will by pass the stock filter housing. Also I'll be running 1/2 lines from a Vulcan DrawStraw all the way to the holley and I'm going to put a pre filter before the fuel pump and a nice filter after the pump. Right now I have the stock lines from inside the tank to the holley which is mounted infront of the tank and 1/2 lines from holley to the VP.

My current setup works pretty good (15 psi @ idle and 13 @ WOT w/ the holly spring streched :poke:) but my holley seems to be leaking and my stock fitler housing had some fuel around the edges and I believe this is causing my fuel system to lose pressure and in return is making my truck hard to start. I checked over all my fittings today, but everything looked to be fine. Well I losened everything up and tightened it all back down again, so will see what happens. But I still want to make a killer fuel system with a nice fuel pump. I gotta keep the dirt outta the VP and I want a pump that I don't have to worry about crappin' out on me.:doh:

I'll have to check but the old stock fuel filter element went down to 12 I think. DC then issued a new filter (from Cummins) to filter to 10 I believe.

I run a 144 and a 10 on my FASS and a 6 under the hood.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm going to run a 10 or a high flow 15 before the pump and I'd like to find me a 6 to run after the pump, but I just have to make sure that it has good flow. I'm waiting on a guy to get me a part number for a dual fleetguard setup, so will see what happens.

For now I'm gonna go ahead and get the Vulcan Draw straw and some more 1/2" line to run from the tank to the pump.

Next will be the filters and I'm trying to decide on a pump. :doh: I like the FASS Pumps but there EXPENSIVE!! :aiwebs_029: I like the FASS HPFP with a 22psi spring. Can you upgrade the non HPFP with better a spring? Who has the deals on all the the fass pumps? Just the pump, not the filter and pump.

Thanks!

Ya, they aren't cheap but they work - very well. The new units have been turned down from 22 to around 17 at idle because they were wearing out the VP44's. I don't have the exact literature but could find that somewhere.

You can buy FASS replacement pumps but I'm not sure you can upgrade the HPFP to the full FASS system.

Check with a site sponsor first! ... or PM Tim to see if he can think of a performance shop (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) ...

Cheers

Aeromotive 1000 series pump with a bypass/return type FP regulator. About as good as it gets IMHO and will be on the goat as soon as the funds allow.

Billysgoat said:
Aeromotive 1000 series pump with a bypass/return type FP regulator. About as good as it gets IMHO and will be on the goat as soon as the funds allow.

I really don't wanna run a bypass/return to tell you the truth.

Smokem who sells the Aeromotive AEI-11203?

Heck of a good find smokem.

Just going to take the stock LP out and run all new lines from the tank up? Mount this on the frame..

Could you adapt the stock wiring harness so the ECM tells the pump to only give the first short shot during grid heater warmup (wait to start) so the pump wouldn't constantly be running when the key was in on position? Or would it make that big of a difference...

I wonder what the track record on these guys are. This has definentally spiked my interest.

So it is internally regulated at 18 +/- PSI..

This is a heck of a deal. I'm wondering if you could get away with using the stock lines up to this pump, and then push it into the filter with after-market lines..

I'm just figuring this could be the ultimate bargain system solution.

I like it.

OOO Smokem I actually have looked at that pump several times. :doh: Will that be enough pressure to run through a 6 or so micron filter? I don't wanna be stuck with 10psi or less at WOT. I like the idea that it doesn't need a bypass/return.

MD-LUCKY said:
So it is internally regulated at 18 +/- PSI..

This is a heck of a deal. I'm wondering if you could get away with using the stock lines up to this pump, and then push it into the filter with after-market lines..

I'm just figuring this could be the ultimate bargain system solution.

I like it.

Oh and if you want an extended pump harness check at www.vulcanperformance.com he has all the fuel system goodies. I'm going to use one of his filters for a prefilter also.

I think we may have found a pump winner.

Smokem said:
You could always install one of Vulcan's inline fuel filters before the pump, and retain the stock fuel filter housing and run the newer style 7 micron fuel filters. I'm not sure how much pressure drop you will see at the VP44 inlet, but I believe it will be nominal, 1-3psi.

Yeah I plan on using his 10 or 15 micron filter. I've looked at them several times already. :evil

But I do want to ditch my stock filter housing. I just don't like it. I've had some fuel leaking from it and well it's just not supposed to leak. Plus I'd rather have the spin on filters and it will make filter changing easy and less messy. What I'll probly do is put the 10 or 15 micron prepump and a single 2 micron filter right after the pump. I belive that will be suffiecient and rather cheap compared to Glacier diesels 2 micron set up. They want 210 for the filter bracket, filters, frame bracket, and some bolts. No hoses or anything. Althought it does comes with the dual filters w/ water seperation though.

I'd caution running a 2 mic filter even as a second screen because you do not want to plug that and then burn the injection pump out. Seen it happen...

If you are looking at other systems try Parker / Racor for the commercial grade seperators - they work great.

I'm betting that there is a good mount with spin on filters that you could use in this setup..

I would try to get ahold of hastings or baldwin filters. I will try to dig up some information for you..

Most of the time it is a heck of a lot cheaper to go with a system that is made by a company for big OTR trucks.

Fleetguard is made for Cummins and industrial engines. I'm trying to find a single spin on filter mount, but there website requires you to have part number. :bang

I found this one through hastings:
FF829

It is a 1-14 threaded filter. About 6" long (you can go much, much longer if you want though)

They don't specify what they filter down to.. I'm going to try to find a base for it with the correct threads.

Hastings base part number is : FB1311

I'm still looking for the specifications on the filter though. I don't know what they will filter down to.

Well I think I'm gonna go with a dual filter setup one for water seperation and then a final filter. The Cummins part # is 212013S. Also I belive I'm gonna run a 6 micron final filter. I believe this will be a nice setup and filter great.

Nice find, very nice Smokem.

I still think I'm gonna go with the A1000 and a bypass regulator, for what I'm planning later I'll need it :evil

Smokem said:
For example the A1000 is rated at 100gph and 90psi, and the AEI-11203 is rated at 150gph and 16psi.

i think you have your numbers wrong, the 11203 flows 75 ghp @ 16-psi on a 12v system, and about 90gph @16-psi on a 13.5v system. the 11101 (a-1000) flows 140 gph @ 40-psi on a 12v system (if its a older a-1000 it only flows 115 gph @ 40-psi)
i'm using one of the a-1000 pumps with a 12302 filter before the pump. the pump gets fed with a 12 an line from the tank. tank has a 12 an bulkhead in the top of the sending unit module, from there it is a 3/4 dia pick up tube. the problem i am having is a filter for after the pump. i was going to use a baldwin filter head with some type of fleetguard filter/water seperator but there is not a filter that will support the output of the a-1000. the highest rated fleetguard is a fs-1218 has a rating of 120 gph, but has a 4 to 6 psi drop.
i did find a water/fuel filter unit made by racor that flows 900 gph, this is the filter unit you see on the truck stop pumps. I was also thinking of not using a water seperator, the fass-150 kit for the 12v by-passes all of the factory stuff (fuel heater/water seperator) any input ?

scot

Attachments

• tube2.JPG
    tube2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 14
  • tube3.JPG
    tube3.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 8
Well I ordered the Draw Straw today. Eric is at the SEMA show so he is going to ship it out on Monday. I'm going to install it and see how it goes. Also I think I've made up my mind to run dual filters after the pump.

Back