Fuel Leak

cerickson

fullpull108
Got home from picking up the wife. She won't drive on the snow and ice. Was driving her truck. When I got home I noticed a little fuel spot in the snow underneath the front of the truck. Had to take a double take. Opened the hood. Doesn't look like a major leak. Couldn't really tell where it was coming from. It's not pouring, or spraying out while it's running. Just puzzling on where it could be coming from. Could it be a return line, or maybe the pump itself. Anybody else ever have this problem? Will be looking at it harder tomorrow when I get some daylight. Bought the truck in march of last year, so we haven't had in any cold weather. Truck also only has 103,000 miles. It's my wife's truck in my sig. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#4 injection line? Wouldn't be at the front but maybe dripping down? Cold weather does weird things. Tighten everything up and look better in the day.

Thanks for the input. Topside looked dry. Looked like it was down around the pump.

No problem! Tighten the return and feed lines up, but not too much. Snap one and you'll have a bad day. Hopefully that'll stop it for you.

^^^ That's what I was wondering. Never leaked before when the weather was warmer. I am going to check all lines and make sure they are tight. What causes the cp3's to leak?

Will it continue to leak or is this just a cold weather issue. Hate to replace the damn thing, and another arctic blast blows in and the new pump leaks.

Checked all lines. They are all tight. Let the truck run for 45 minutes. No leaks no where. Guess it was just the too damn cold weather we are having. Will keep an eye on it though.

might be a leak that leaks when under load, then drips while the truck sits. suspect a spot? tie wrap a paper towel over the suspected area and get out and drive it, check the paper

Wife drove the truck to work lastnight. I had her park in the fresh snow so I could see if there would be fuel in the snow. Didn't have a drop. Looked at all the lines again this morning. Everything was dry. Traced all fuel lined the best that I could from each injector back to the pump. Chalking this up to frigid temps on the pump I guess??

Maybe cold fuel starting to gel or get thick creating more pressure somewhere? Fuel warmed up as the truck ran and stopped leaking...

^ That's what I am thinking. Went out this afternoon to start truck and the damn Fass pump blowed a fuse. Replaced fuse now it sounds horrible. Replaced filters and waiting to hunt down a new fuel filter.

Do you still have the factory fuel filter in place?

I've been running fuel treatment but my fuel still started gel or something froze somewhere when it got past -10. Pulled the filter and separator, dumped them, brought them inside to thaw. Filled them 1/2 way with ps diesel 911 and pored the rest of the bottle in the tank. It's back to normal now.

I run from tank to the fass straight to the pump, bypasses old filter. Got new filters on. Think I have a grounding issue somewhere. Keeps popping my fuse. Gonna check it out in the morning. I ran out of 30 amp fuses, and I was getting pissed. Hope the pump is still good.

Fuel might be gelling causing the FASS to pull more amps and blow the fuse. I know that is the case with AirDog blowing fuses. If you have warranty; try and get a new pump. If not; open it up and make sure it spins free. I'm not saying you don't have a grounding issue, but with the cold; I bet more on the pump.

I had filled the truck up and mixed in half bottle of fuel treatment before the cold blast hit. It was 37 degrees today when I was looking at it. Wife told me that the pump didn't sound right on Saturday. This is before the big cold weather came in. She said it sounded like it was surging. I drove it Sunday and it was surging a little. Maybe my pump gave up the ghost? I should still be under the 1 year warranty. I bought the truck in march, and had the pump installed in may or june. I will get in touch with the shop that installed the pump tomorrow to see what they say. I'm going to recheck grounds and replace fuse.

I'm not great with electric so hopefully someone with a fass will chime in to help you. Good chance it picked something up or has a problem if it didn't sound right. Are you running a sump? My AirDog filter lasted 10k after a sump install...

Back