Fuel Line Leak @ Metal to Plastic Joint

Nighthawk

Hello Everyone,

Background:

I replaced my factory in tank pump conversion with 100k miles on it with a new airtex E7187M replacement unit as the fuel pressure was dropping below 10psi. Now I have better fuel pressure (14psi idle, 12psi driving) but the damn sending unit only reads E after 500 miles (another battle):bang. I took my truck this weekend on a 350 mile round trip visit to see friends without a single issue.

Discovered Problem:

Pulled the truck around front to give it a wash after the trip and noticed some drips by the drive side door. Rolled under the truck to discover that it was dripping from the fuel line rubber covering. Popped it out of the bracket, slid the cover up to the engine and noticed the joint where the metal line ends and plastic line begins was wet/had a droplet formed. The quick connect further up the line is dry with no evidence of a leak.

I have a yearly trip with the camper in tow Memorial Day weekend and I want to know if I am SOL (don't have another truck to tow with). I plan to remove a section of the rubber hose covering tomorrow to see if i see anything else. I fear without a working fuel sender for the gauge (did cluster test twice, which passed both and did unplug & jump of leads and read E to F)

Can some on help me know if:

1 - There is an easy solution to this issue

2 - This is not common and involves major work

3 - Place to get replacement parts like a new metal hard line

:thankyou2::thankyou2:

I appreciate the link and have bookmarked it for later use when i build my custom fuel system later this summer. My main motivation is to find a quick fix so that i am not back in a tent for the first time in 3 years:lolly:.

To Update:

I crawled under my truck when i got home from work and removed a section of the rubber hose sleeve (4-6"). It was greasy in the section (prob for years of fuel filter change splashes) but no visible leaks. I wiped everything down and bumped the starter to run the pump (16psi on gauge) and checked for leaks. I found nothing :doh: so i started the truck and let it idle while i check and once again nothing. I am stumped to say the least and plan to drive it to work in case it only shows up after some miles.

Drove it around and there was no visible leak at the joint but some fuel was found in the hose protecting the line. Could the the outer hose filled with liquid after my filter change, as this seems unlikely.

I suspect the dorman quick connect may not have been 100% seated or something, but holds pressure traveling down the road and at idle with no drips.

Does anyone have a link to get new factory style fuel lines?