fuel or coolant in my oil????

bluelineranch

hey guys, I started installing some studs today and when I pulled the first head bolt I noticed "water" on it, upon further inspection I noticed that there was a lot of it floating on top of my oil in my head. The problem I've run into is I don't know if its water or coolant, I couldn't catch it on fire but my coolant level hasn't changed. is there any way to determine which it is without pulling the head or oil analysis?

If you have water in your oil Id say you better find out what it is before you spend the time doing studs.

If you don't know what water in oil looks like you had better do an experiment!

Make sure its not water / coolant..

Or THIS!

photo-27.jpg

Way to scare the poor fella LOL

Water/coolant in oil makes the oil look like chocolate milk. Diesel in the oil makes it very thin and watery.

thanks a bunch Im 90% sure its coolant, i changed the oil maybe 30 miles ago and the oil level is way high, so high its prolly not diesel. Im pulling the head now.

thanks a bunch Im 90% sure its coolant, i changed the oil maybe 30 miles ago and the oil level is way high, so high its prolly not diesel. Im pulling the head now.

Proper diagnostics is 99% of a successful repair. Does the oil under the valve cover look like a chocolate milk shake or is just thinned out?

Proper diagnostics is 99% of a successful repair. Does the oil under the valve cover look like a chocolate milk shake or is just thinned out?

It did look like i thin shake, smelled like coolant too, When i drained the coolant i could tell that the oil smelled the same. i couldnt find an obvious crack in the head gasket though

It did look like i thin shake, smelled like coolant too, When i drained the coolant i could tell that the oil smelled the same. i couldnt find an obvious crack in the head gasket though

most times you wont see the problem spot in the head gasket, its takes a very good eye to read a HG