Fuel Plate with Notch ????

600 Megawatts

Many Irons in the Fire
Hello all. I am new here. Only learned about this forum a week ago, while searching for a replacement forum for Dodge-diesel.org (was bounced for having an argument with Peter from SBC).,... anyway, I can see its much better and more hard core over here, and you guys dont let vendors run the show !! Bravo!:rockwoot::woohoo::Cheer:

So, anyway, I have wasted the last four years on my truck with electronic boxes and VP 44 nonsense. So after the VP and/or ECM died three weeks ago, in a fit, I ripped it all out and I am P pumping it right now. I have a rebuilt 160 HP pump with 4kGSK. I have been reading up on this P pump deal, and was corresponding with a nice chap over on the other forum before being booted, but I still dont understand on thing. I see a lot of plates, the stock plate inlcuded with a real sharp notch and step in it. How does the gov arm ride over that notch and not get caught???? Or does it not even ride up that high?? In which case, why have the notch ??
I understand the function of the plate, and see other plates, like a #5 that have a smooth ramp, and that makes sense. But what's the deal with he #8 and the stock plates with that sharp notch?

I believe the gov arm only contacts 1/2 of the plate. I believe the AFC arm moves it over the step. Someone here know the answer, I just ground mine flat with a ski ramp.

Great question. Ive wondered the same thing, some of the other grinds make perfect since and others make no since unless the gov. arm only came up 1/4" or so and i know it moves much more than that because i can see the track mark on my new ground 100? From common since point of view the 100 seems to be the best design, a little ramp then smooth sailing to how ever far it wanted to go with no defueling. Lots of people gut thier afc so that takes that out of the equation for it being why or how the arm gets over that ledge. ??.. Dont know.

The arm only rides up 3/8-1/2 of the height of that front edge of the plate. Also running different plates may require different gov arm adjust from one to another. After I adjusted mine to just ride on the AFC arm all the time after shaping that like a #100 it had a smoother fueling than a normal #100 plate and incorrectly adjusted gov arm.

Oh, well I guess I need to read up on the governor arm first.... didnt know about adjusting it to where it rides... Like I said, this P pump is new to me.....

Thanks for the replies...

Anybody got a good link to a document on gov arm adjustments???

Excellent Mo Smoke, thank you. I am still lost as to why the sharp notch though.... The arm rides up it, but why the notch?? If the arm only rides up 3/8 or so of the plate and never gets to the notch, fine... BUT why is it there???? ALso, on the TST #6 shown on MoSmoke's link, why does the bottom of the nose have the curve if the lever is to be set right at the nose? i understand the smooth ramp above the nose, but if the lever is to be set at the tip of the nose, why wouldnt below the nose be a vertical line? This way, if the adjustment was off, and the lever was a little low, it wouldnt have to actually travel BACK before clearing the nose and then heading forward..... Im with you BBLDodge, I'd love to see one of these cutaway pumps being spun with a motor and watch how that moves.....:confused:

I belive the notch is to defuel at peak torque to save the clutch/tranny

I also believe that a lot of the aftermarket profiles were ground all complex looking to scare people out of grinding their own.

the AFC is your greatest tuning tool... plate profile doesn't mean THAT much for "competition" purposes.

Ok guys, you lost me a little here.... The AFC limits rack travel based on boost pressure, so it is the method to tune fuel addition as a function of boost. The plate profile and gov arm are supposed to control rack travel as a function of RPM? right? So why eliminate the plate? How then is fuel modulated based on RPM ?

Well, what I did for now, is grind the plate flat and an amount such that with the plate full forward, it just limited the rack travel about .010" prior to the pin hitting the stop (I have a 2095 front plug and the rack doesnt hit it before the pin hits, the stock plug limited rack travel 2mm by the way...).

So in taking some measurements with this, total maximum rack travel is 18.5 mm. I then checked to make sure the AFC wont limit full rack travel, and it does not.

I then backed the plate up to mid position and its about 15mm of rack travel and I left it there for now. I set the AFC up on the bench to allow full rack travel at 10 Psi boost.

So, I'll try it out like this for now. In the fall I will be putting together twins for it, so then I move the plate forward more.

Thanks for all the posts !!!

Just a guess, but I'm thinking your going to want to wait for more than 10psi of boost, unless you have a really tight turbo that is....

Just a guess, but I'm thinking your going to want to wait for more than 10psi of boost, unless you have a really tight turbo that is....

25-30 is more like it but you will like the smoke show, I like smooth power without a smoke show.

Jim