Fuel pump drive options

bigstacks95

Diesel Doc
Thinking its time to ditch the factory steering assist on my puller because frankly, it sucks in the pits I cant friggin steer for sh1t even with the front axle disengaged. What are you guys putting in place of the vacuum/steering pumps on the Cummins motors to drive a fuel pump when not running the vacuum pump?

I've heard of running it off the injection pump, or the cam gear, also seen belt drive setups but really don't wanna screw around with that.

Was thinking about building some kind of idler gear with just a bearing on the back in place of the vacuum/ps pump? anyone ever done that?

Pics would be great.

TIA. :Cheer:

We just gut our vacuum pump and looped a hose for the power steering pump. Weld drive hub on vacuum pump gear to run hex drive for fuel pump. Easy and cheap.

Was thinking of doing that, but sure would be nice to clean up the engine bay as well and get rid of that stuff.

What you want to do will work i have seen i done on other engines. Why not just bolt a hub to the injection pump gear to drive your current pump. It is nice to get the ps/vac pump out of there. I mount the fuel filter setup in that area. So the full fuel system in on the engine besides the fuel tank.

What you want to do will work i have seen i done on other engines. Why not just bolt a hub to the injection pump gear to drive your current pump. It is nice to get the ps/vac pump out of there. I mount the fuel filter setup in that area. So the full fuel system in on the engine besides the fuel tank.

I am going to look into the injection pump gear thing but was really hoping to keep it down lower. We'll see. I still like the idler gear idea Rawdog on here said hes running a setup like that on his

I am going to look into the injection pump gear thing but was really hoping to keep it down lower. We'll see. I still like the idler gear idea Rawdog on here said hes running a setup like that on his

Another option is make a setup to mount it on the back side where the vac/ps pump mount instead of the front. I actually always liked the idea of mounting one of the aviaid tractor pulling setups in that loaction.

Last edited: