Fuel sending unit issue? Stumped?

Got Smoke?

I found this on CF of all places...

Fuel Sending Unit Repair For Under $1 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I tried this fix today on my 97 because my fuel gauge wasn't registering at all and the low fuel light was on even with 10 gallons in the tank. With the sending until out of the tank and it would only read a little above 1/4 tank with the float all the way up.

Reinstalled sending unit and tank started truck...fuel needle came up to E and dropped right back to below E and low fuel light came on?

Pulled tank.....pulled sending unit.....swapped a fuel level sensor & float off another sending unit.....same thing just above 1/4 Tank.

Reinstalled tank....started truck....needle does not come up at all....but low fuel light is not on?

Stopped and added 10 gallons of fuel because the wasn't much in the tank...still no change?

The sending unit is bad. Get a new one. The dodge dealer sells replacement sensors for cheap, no need to replace the entire module.

I may have a new one Mark. I bought it for the '95 and never put it in. I'll check.

I may have a new one Mark. I bought it for the '95 and never put it in. I'll check.

Please let me know Scott, I'm off all this week and would be willing to come get it so I can get this wrapped up while I'm off work.

So far got about 300 miles on the new engine and loving every minute of it!:rockwoot: If I could just get the damn shifter tower to quit leaking on the transmission! :bang:

I forgot about it today. I'll try to remember in the morning.

Installed a brand new sending unit bought from BigPapa today........still no change?!?!

Where else should I start looking? :bang :bang :bang :bang

There is a detailed troubleshooting procedure in the factory service manual.

I e-mailed you the test procedure. Let me know if it helps.

Have you checked the electrical sources for correct voltage? Also make sure your ground and hot are nice clean connections. Also it may be a bad connection on your actual gauge itself

Last edited:
Have you checked the electrical sources for correct voltage? Also make sure your ground and hot are nice clean connections. Also it may be a bad connection on your actual gauge itself

cumminstankconnector.jpg

connectorendview.jpg

^^^ This will help as well I hope. Pictures are from a 96

Last edited:
Thank you very much! Going to go back to the shop in the morning and try and figure out where my problem is in the wiring.

What Scott emailed me tonight in case it might be helpful to others.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
I actually downloaded a pc version of the manual from a torrent site for free. It is very helpful plus I can use it on my cellphone as well. Because I didn't feel like shoveling money out for a physical one, just another option for ya.

The manual is a tool and costs less than a good torque wrench. Don't tell me you don't have one of those either.

Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Parts and Accessories - Geno's Garage

Checked electrical connections and wires until I was ready to pull my hair out today.

I have power & ground at the sending unit. I have continuity at the sending unit and the plug going into the back of the dash cluster.

I jumpered the hot to ground and my gauge only goes to half a tank? Scott @ Cedar City Diesel believe's this means my fuel gauge in my cluster is bad?

The sending unit I purchased from Scott "BigPapa" was only for 94-96 trucks and is not the model needed for my 97. I'm at a loss here :bang :bang :bang :bang

Okay now we are getting somewhere, if the sending unit itself is different for a 97 than the wiring may be slightly different so if you get the correct one you maybe just fine...

Back