Fuel Shutoff Cable

DavidB

My solenoid is dying. Thinking about going to a cable.

Pros/Cons/Pics of yours?

Thanks

Whats a PITA?

move your cursor over the green words for details...

i am currently using a choke cable. its way to stiff and a PITA to pull enought to shut off sometimes. im ordering a "pull to stop" cable off ebay shortly.

crabbelle- yeah thats to make sure it won't start. We were loading a bobcat on my buddies truck and when it pushed the trailor a little it fired up.:bang

SixOhh- I know what the initials stand for I was asking whats a PITA to do? Install the cable or replacing the solenoid or what? I myself didn't think either was that big of a deal.

does anybody have pics of the setup's. i want one for my puller in case of emergency thing

For emergency, you can move shut off solenoid by hand...

Whats a PITA?

For one the choke cable is a lot cheaper and it works. But make sure you leave it out if you have a standard.

Pain in the ass. Im sure its not as bad as i thought i was when i tried it. But i didnt mount the cable on anything really, if i spent more time i bet it wouldve been easier.

But i think that the original poster should check the relay on the firewall, the original shutoff solenoid is a really simple, stout unit that should last the life of the truck.

I have read that a cable for the DT466 works great. More pricey, but quality way above a universal cable.
Think I remember about $60 from IH.

Thanks

I will doublecheck the relay/sol. The other day I got after the sol with the test light and the wire was hot but it wasn't actuating. Sometimes if I turn the key on and off a couple times it'll go. It only malfunctions every once in a while.

If I were to do the cable, I would not put the return springs on it. Leave it so you have to manually do it in/out. Safety/anti theft.