fummins starter/adapter issue

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
Here is my problem. Im putting a 01 24v with a zf6 in a 03. So far everything except my afapter had been diesel conversions. Adapter was purchased through a reputable buisness. Its just the weekend and I want to hear this thing run, so im wondering if I iver looked anything.

Adapter has starter spacer and dosent require crank spacer. Here is the issue. I have a 13in flywheel bolted to the crank and my 6.0 starter bolted to the adapter. With everything in place my starter gear still is about 1/16 of an inch from engaging the flywheel. I dont mean front to back. I mean literally it sits to the right of the ring gear when engaged. I know it seems obvious but am I over looking something. Only thing I can come up with is my adapter wad machined wrong?

Was the adapter made for cummins starter and not the 6.0 starter? (Assuming the starter mounting holes are the same? Of which I am unsure)

Its supposed to be for a 6.0 starter. I dont even have a dodge starter to see if they are the same mounting holes with a larger diameter gear.

But its not the spacing of the flywheel thats the problem. With the starter bendix fully engaged tje flywheelring gear and tje bendix are perfect. EXCEPT the bendix, if looked at from the rear of the engine needs to move about 3/8 of an inch to the left to engage the flywheel where it needs to be.

What about removing the spacer and checking that way the spacer moves the gear further twords the outside

It happens. No big deal. Just trying to see if I over looked something.

Lets see if this works.

Attachments

• 20131215_140820.jpg
    20131215_140820.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm thinking the plate is milled incorrectly, or it is possibly for a Cummins starter. Was it a used plate? Did you call the place where you got it?

Last edited:
Im calling him tomorrow. It was brand new. Does a 6.0 qnd cummins fkange have the same bolt pattern. I dont have one to look at?

Called yesterday, emailed a few pictures after we talked on the phone. Still waiting for a call back after he looks at the pictures.

I've never tried to put a cummins denso starter on an adapter plate that was designed to use the 6.0 starter. I'm going to say they aren't the same bolt pattern as one of the 6.0 starter bolts, lower one if I remember correctly, comes from the flywheel side and threads in to the starter. I don't think these bolt patterns are the same. Hopefully he can get it resolved quiclkly for you.