Fummins

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
I've got a '97 12 valve 215hp rating that I'm gonna be swapping into my ford this winter, and I wanna know the best way to get the most power out of it, with as little smoke as possible. It has an HX40 on it, and other than that, it's stock. I pulled it out of a wrecked dodge a few weeks ago and have it on a stand at my shop now. I'm shooting for 400 to 500 at the wheels. Its my work, tow, have fun in rig, so it has to be reliable( which is why I went with Cummins.) my last truck was a 24valve ram, but it was too nice to use for work. What would be the best combo if mods to get me there? this is my first all mechanical diesel, so I need some guidance. Its gonna have the ZF 6spd behind it, and I already have 0-60 boost, pyro, and 0-50 fp gauges. are the mechanical lift pumps on these things good? Or should I run a fass or something?

Thanks yall

port the head!!!!!!!!! and if budget allows, put a good cam in it. those will really help cut down smoke and now is the time to do it, while it's out of the truck :)

a 40 will work, but a 62mm S300 will work better :cool:

I love DDP4 injectors. they'll do more than 500 and easy to drive without smoke. I always just run the factory lift pump. I made 535rwhp with my last 215 truck w/ this combo

Stock lift pump will be fine at that power level.

DDP4s or II Dragon Flies
SPS62
18* timing

Mod the AFC and 4k GSK

Is it hard to port the head? I've never done anything like that before. What do you mean by mod the AFC? I'm guessing the 4k GSK are the governor springs? Is that difficult at all? I was thinking about getting another s300, I had one on my 24valve and it kicked ass.

I personally run an S300, and I love it on my 95 12V. The lift pump on these motors are called the "million mile pump", and for good reason. I have 213,000 on mine, no problems thus far. Lots of 12v trucks are running at well over 1,000,000 miles on the stock P7100 poump. The biggest thing with upgrading power on these motors have to do with the P7100 pump. Delivery Valves, such as the 181 or 191's are a good choice for moderate to lower level-high HP outputs. These are very easy to change out. Here is a link for them: http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/p7100-191-delivery-valves-9498-dodge-valve-cummins-p-447.html

You will also need to address the GSK or (Governer sping kit) which can be found here: http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/gsk-rpm-governor-spring-kit-9498-dodge-12v-cummins-p-148.html

Your AFC can be altered to allow more fuel flow as well... http://www.puredieselpower.com/cata...98-dodge-59l-valve-cummins-diesel-p-1309.html do a little research for yourself on this subject and come to your own conclusion on this, it is much debated as to which fuel plate to run and what mods to do to the internals.

After you have done these mods, you will need to time the motor, I have mine set at 16.5* and my truck runs like a raped ape. Just make sure you have a good freeflowing exhaust and a good air intake.

ok, so he cannot do the rack plug either....hmmm, just go with some 191 DV's and a good set of injectors. 370 Marine injectors are an inexpensive alternative to the expensive ($1000) injectors and I am very pleased with mine so far, they do smoke when you get into it, but quickly level out when you hit the higher rpm's allowed via the 3k or 4k gsk kit.

no need for 191's with a 215 pump... save that money and put it towards some real injectors...

DDP4's will give the same or more power as 370's and 191's with better economy, lower EGT's, and less smoke

no need for 191's with a 215 pump... save that money and put it towards some real injectors...

DDP4's will give the same or more power as 370's and 191's with better economy, lower EGT's, and less smoke

I have a set of pensacola 370 marine injectors, they were quite the upgrade from my stockers and the truck idled much smoother with them. What are the advantages of the DDP4's over the 370's? Are you running these?

Correct spray pattern is the big one. And better fuel atomization. Those combine to give you lower EGTs and less smoke.

I have 370s, and I like them. I just hold no delusions that they are great injectors. But for the money I spent on them I am very happy with the purchase.

Forrest has run both of them. Guess which ones he is running in his 98 now?

yes, I'm currently running them, and I've run them before. I've also run 370's. The 370's are a nice upgrade for sure, but on a 180 or 215 truck you don't have to spend any money on delivery valves, so might as well put that towards some better injectors.

the DDP4's make about 40 more HP than the 370's... less idle haze, lower EGT's, more power, etc. what's not to like? :D

yes, I'm currently running them, and I've run them before. I've also run 370's. The 370's are a nice upgrade for sure, but on a 180 or 215 truck you don't have to spend any money on delivery valves, so might as well put that towards some better injectors.

the DDP4's make about 40 more HP than the 370's... less idle haze, lower EGT's, more power, etc. what's not to like? :D

What about on th e160 pumps; that's what I have.

What about on the 160 pump, that's what I have

Well, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would 181's be better than DDP4's in my case?

Ok, if that is the case, then why not just go with 191's and 370's in the first place instead of DDP4's? Just curious as to the method of your madness!

191's and DDP4's = better than 191's and 370's

I just like the 4's... no I don't work for them, nor am I sponsored by them... just really like the two sets I've had in two different trucks.

I will say that the Dragon Flows I ran in this truck before were awesome for the power they made, but they were just too dirty for my taste with an unported head and stock cam. the 4's can be VERY clean if that's what you want

for the money the 370's are great, but deals on 4's pop up every now and then :)