g56 swap for nv4500??

Dead Reckoning

im looking in swapping my g56 out of my pulling truck and swapping it wit my duallys nv4500. does anyone actually know wat needs to be done for the swapp? does the bellhouse have to be swapped

I would suggest getting under the 2 trucks, so you at least have a clue as to what is going on...The G56 does not have a removable bellhousing like the NV4500. They do both have the same bell housing bolt patterns.

This has been done several time search for it.

Its not rocket scince. Its all the same **** just some stuff will have to be longer and some shorter.

Last edited:
If you dont change the flywheel housing you will have to use a starter spacer to get the starter drive to line up.

Since i've done this myself, here's my 2 cents. Trans mounting bracket will need to be custom made, unless you can find one to work which i couldn't. The nv4500 is 3 3/4" shorter than the g56 if i remember correct. The tans mounting plate on the common rail motor will work just fine, order a starter spacer for just a few $ from valair (factory common rail starter with the spacer will work with the clutch for the nv4500). I'm running a 3 disk valair in mine, works great. The hyd slave cylinder for the common rail will work just fine also. On my 06 i had to shorten/change the angle on the stick for dash clearance reasons. The shift tower on the nv4500 is the same distance back from the front of the bell housing as the g56, so no floor mods needed. And of coarse the front driveline will need to be shortened and the rear lenthened. The t case out of my 06 bolted/splined up perfect with the nv4500.

Also the trans mounting plate on the back of a common rail doesn't seem to fit the 12v too well, not sure on a 24v. We had starter angle/clearance issues.

Also the trans mounting plate on the back of a common rail doesn't seem to fit the 12v too well, not sure on a 24v.

The CR trans plate will bolt to a CR block only...12v and 24v blocks use the same pattern but different from the CR.

thanks alot for your 2 cents 307diesel its nice to hear from ppl that have done the swapp than ppl that havnt and r guessing

307diesel: can you post pics of your mount and explain what you did to build/make it? looking into this swap for my puller and would like to see how you did it.

rough drawing

Trans adapter.png
Other than this adapter plate, i got a starter spacer from valair, changed the shifter a little(cut and welded), and had the front drive shaft shortened and rear lenthened.