Garmon trans head to head comparison track results.

I'd say it won't lockup in first, so as soon as it hits second, she locks up and goes on!

Chris

yeah.....that's a scary thought ! I have all the faith in the world with Garmons trannys but, locked in 1st going into 2nd is begging for trouble !

I'd say it won't lockup in first, so as soon as it hits second, she locks up and goes on!

Chris

Id say youre right chris. Most valve bodies are set up to allow lockup in 2nd. I had mine set up so I could lock it in first as well, so locking the converter at the line wouldnt work out too well for me:hehe:

Do you do locked 3-4 shifts? Seems to me that a locked 3rd to 4th shift would put a whole lot more stress on the shaft than a locked 1st to 2nd shift.

I wouldn't agree with that. I lock once in second. The rpm's and line pressure in 1st are way to high to try and shift to second locked. With the weight my truck has... I'd be guaranteed to snap a shaft.... or two !

I don't think he meant he's locking in first!!

Some 47's are like that, You can lock you switch on the line and THEN when it hits 2nd...Then it locks!!......Same as us locking manually as soon as we hit 2nd...

48's will lock in first!! That's how I twisted my stock intermediate shaft in Half!!!! LOL......The one on Garmon's rack of Carnage in the Green Room Saloon!!! Along with my Melted Piston!!!

My tranny will lock up in first and I have done a 1-2 locked shift just taking off easy and its pretty rough. Im sure it wouldn't take long to break a shaft if I was in 4wd and wideopen.

48's will lock in first!! That's how I twisted my stock intermediate shaft in Half!!!! LOL......The one on Garmon's rack of Carnage in the Green Room Saloon!!![/QUOTE]

Thats why mine lock in first because it has a 48 valve body.

On both my 02 and 05, I turn the lockup switch on before staging. On the 02 it goes locked as soon as it shifts into 2nd. On the 05 (48RE valve body), I have a govenor pressure switch that locks the convertor at ~30mph. It is still in 1st at this time, and does the 1-2 shift with the converter locked. It does have all of Opies billet parts, including fat shafts.

Paul

i dont think i have the 48re valve body, unless thats what DPS used when they built it...all i know is its from suncoast and will lock up in first b/c it will kill my truck if i flip the lockup switch at the line

On both my 02 and 05, I turn the lockup switch on before staging. On the 02 it goes locked as soon as it shifts into 2nd. On the 05 (48RE valve body), I have a govenor pressure switch that locks the convertor at ~30mph. It is still in 1st at this time, and does the 1-2 shift with the converter locked. It does have all of Opies billet parts, including fat shafts.

Paul

Locking in 1st should shave a little time and it FEELS awesome!!!

I'm going to have to wait until Garmon and I dive into my tranny again so Phil can build my converter to handle the Opie FAT shaft!!

I don't want to chance it until then!!

Mines his "48RH hybrid" It will Lock instantly in every gear. I hit the switch as soon as the truck transfers without spinning.
& actually, the 1-2 locked shift is awesome at WOT...but dont try it at part throttle... It will put your KennyG cd directly in the floor!

My Goerend trans has been set up to lock at the 1 to 2 shift for about 3 years. Thanks Steve B.

bump for another satisfied garmon trans owner!!!!

i think he needs a great website to support his great name!

Back