Garmons Diesel common rail

Jeff2

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I am looking for a tunable set up that is not so black down low.
The efi for the duramax lets me do just that, but I cant seem
to find any downloader with smoke control to speak of. the
cleanest bang for the buck so far is the mp8 for me. I am building
this 04.5 for the street, I guess its time to get on the cr band wagon
I would appreciate any input. I am looking for 500 hp 450 if it could
be clean! I realize I should have called banks first, but I am going
to test the waters here where reality lives.:thankyou2:

Stock sticks or aftermarket? Exhones seems to haze alot more then a good edm there. Not sure on programmers, the current Smarty is pretty damn smoky but th enew version coming out is said to be much beter smoke wise.

A set of 90hp injs and MP8 should be enough for close to 450hp if not close to 500.

Banks ! :hehe:

I've been through several downloaders and the smarty has the most power so far. There's talk of PPE " Hot " being all that but, it's not available for the newest of trucks yet.

on a 4.5 you can use a TST to stack with the smarty. Then you won't need to MP-8

Now there's a stack like you won't believe. The smarty is great down low and the TST for up top = a $%it load of power.

As mentioned, the smarty is known for all it's smoke but, the new softwares are really cutting that down. The added timing to do that though is on the extreme side!

Last edited:
I have a ppe on it now but as i said it smokes real bad for that power level
I can make 450 hp with a 12v with no smoke at all. It just seems to me it
would be easy for the guys with the ability to manipulate duty cycle to do
this. I can do this with a duramax! I think its time to get some better control
of this cummins ecm I am sure Marco could do it! The times are calling for
better control, I can't run from the cops if I leave a smoke trail!:hehe:

Plus the word is the EPA is watching LOL

I think Marco's been trying like hell to get something that works and can make everyone happy. As you know, that's not always possible.

Especially with the new CAN-Bus system, it's become more difficult to manipulate. Many sensors and signals are now data streams instead of voltage so manipulating the ECM isn't so easy.

From what I hear, will never see anything like the EFI in a Cummins. I could be wrong but I'm told, their software is patented, copyrighted and proprietary to D/C.

A man of your means though could contact many people and have something customs written. Don't forget to share when you figured it out !

Products for gas is much more complicated, however there are stand alone systems for mustangs and bmw's . we need a controller with a crank sensor,and
injector harness, cummins could keep the captive software for running my
speedo and oil press gauge! tst is almost doing that now if you think about it!

about a year ago we ran a totally smokless 12.0 @ 111 on #2 ( yes faster than banks truck went ) with these mods on a 04 CR 4x4 cc

II silver bullet turbo
II 3 flow injectors
ARP head studs :poke:
HTS billit transmission
PPE and Predator stack (Also matched this time with a diablosport)
gregs camshaft
lock up switch

We tried the TS psi box but it did not make the power of the predator box

i'll post a vid too if i can find it.

HP may have been over what your looking for but i think this will help.

From what I have seen of the CRs built with high hp, it is still best to start with all of the mechanical mods available. Proper twins, injectors, intercooler, springs, cam, studs, porting where possible, water/meth for added cooling, NO2 for the track, etc. Then it is not necessary to overfuel so much in programmin to make usable power. TST is probably the current best power module that produces the least amount of smoke for like power. The Van Aken 5 may make it possible to write your own fueling maps, but that may be more dangerous than its worth.

The new Smarty betas definitely have lowered the amount of smoke, just remains to be seen if they still produce the same power with less smoke.

Just my .02.

I can see a tube truck, stand alone controller, twin turbos twin pumps!!!
hold my beer! If a mega cab runs 10's what would 6000lbs less do!

I emailed Sniper a while back, they said they would be working on something for the Cummins soon. Don't know if or how that will pan out.

You could also try to contact Quadzilla as they seem really motivated to pushing the envelope with regards to the 24v vp44 trucks, people who are doing the beta test of the race box seem especially "happy" with what's coming up in the future. I'm sure they could be talked into working with you on a CR project.

Marco is probably your best bet for quick turn around.

Jeff2 said:
I can see a tube truck, stand alone controller, twin turbos twin pumps!!!
hold my beer! If a mega cab runs 10's what would 6000lbs less do!

Thats exactly why were building one now.

welcome to the CR dilemma :bang I'd like to see a software that can build boost before fueling and keep the EGT's in check without putting the timing through the roof.

Finding someone that can write code and knows a diesel inside and out isn't easy to do I'm sure. Grease monkeys usually aren't computer geeks and vise versa. Who ever can do it though is gonna be a rich person !

You may find you're complete happy just working on 1st and 2nd gens.... these 3rd's can be a pain in the butt.

Jeff2 said:
I have a ppe on it now but as i said it smokes real bad for that power level
I can make 450 hp with a 12v with no smoke at all. It just seems to me it
would be easy for the guys with the ability to manipulate duty cycle to do
this. I can do this with a duramax! I think its time to get some better control
of this cummins ecm I am sure Marco could do it! The times are calling for
better control, I can't run from the cops if I leave a smoke trail!:hehe:

Hey Jeff,

It's your local Smyrna Cop!!!!!!!!! Chase'n ya!!!

Hope you had a nice trip!!

I know it's not very popular on this site but if you want 450-500 with no smoke when just daily driving, Bully Dog Crazy Larry and use there Outlook monitor...3 fueling maps at the Flip of a switch like mine....
Yeah, it's gonna smoke when you get in it on CL but in one second you'll be back to smoke free....

If you remember, mine made 486 with the MP8 totally off....

BTW, I'm off Mon and Tues......Can you do that LockUP for me???

Back when I was running just the TST and a 62/12 I could drive arround smoke free but didn't have much on the bottom. After adding the VA3.1 I could run it at 50% with out blacking out the folks behind me. I made arround 485 hp with this setup. But running the 66/14, 90 hp injectors and Smarty beta 4.4 I'll get a little hayes unless I tramp down on it.
I don't know if this helps.

50hp sticks a 60/14 turbo and a superchips made 503'ish on a 06 megacab with almost no smoke at all.

Van Aaken C-5 is about as close to EFI as you'll get for now.

Less smoke and more power

I've had both since going with the Maxspool 2.5 and a Beta Smarty. I understand the newest levels of Smarty are even better,.. we'll see. Also it will be interesting to see what happens with the C5 once the software is available.

The only thing about the cr trucks is that a tst/smarty stack loves some trucks others it doesn't like at all they might like the smarty/pressure box, ppe/pressure etc. We played around at the track alot with trucks running different stacks one truck we had running the best with a Crazy Larry/Predator stack it was a 06 mega cab 6 speed stock clutch that would run 13.40 down the track. With the Smarty or PPE on it lost almost a full sec my truck runs the best with a beta Smarty/TST at 12.00s to 12.1s.

Chris Blevins said:
The only thing about the cr trucks is that a tst/smarty stack loves some trucks others it doesn't like at all they might like the smarty/pressure box, ppe/pressure etc. We played around at the track alot with trucks running different stacks one truck we had running the best with a Crazy Larry/Predator stack it was a 06 mega cab 6 speed stock clutch that would run 13.40 down the track. With the Smarty or PPE on it lost almost a full sec my truck runs the best with a beta Smarty/TST at 12.00s to 12.1s.

was that mega cab stock other than the programmers?