Garrett Gt 4502v

pulltilbroke

Last trailer park hero
I just picked up a Garrett GT4502V and was wondering if it would make a good big charger in a twinset on a VE motor.

Specs on the comp wheel are 71mm minor, 102mm major. The exhaust housing has an a/r of 1,72 and the comp has an a/r of .69. BTW this is a variable vane charger as you probly already knew.

Discuss please as I am kinda new to Garretts.

Some of the applications I have seen of VVTs in twin sets use the VVT on the high pressure charger, not on the low pressure unit.

I'm sure it could be made to work, but the struggle with all of these chargers is how to control them. Mechanical engine almost has to use a wastegate-style mechanical control, but where the pressure reference comes from us up to you.

My gut feeling tells me it's not going to be a huge benefit to having VVT on the low pressure unit, and it might be more trouble that what it's worth.

You could maybe find a vane setting that works well and just leave it there. Just like having several exhaust housings at your disposal that you don't have to swap in and out.

The compressor on that unit is a low-ish trim, meaning it's made to favor building pressure ratio at the expense of max flow (the map will be somewhat narrow) - which is the opposite of what is done on a twin-specific low pressure unit, which gives up pressure ability for the benefit of max flow with a very wide map.

If your truck is going to be streeted and you're not looking for a max-effort puller or dragger, and you want to have fun making a set of twins, I think it'll probably do it.

The LP turbo cannot be a VGT/VNT type because it will choke the HP turbo's exhaust flow. Now a GT3788V HP turbo would work if you can find the non-ford ones that don't use the 747 sized vanes.

The LP turbo cannot be a VGT/VNT type because it will choke the HP turbo's exhaust flow. Now a GT3788V HP turbo would work if you can find the non-ford ones that don't use the 747 sized vanes.

Why would it choke the flow? As long as you keep the vanes from going completely shut, it's going to function like any other turbine would.

The turbine maps from VNTs don't look like anything out of the ordinary, except when they're darn near shut. If I were doing this I'd stick 'em halfway open and leave them fixed and see how it responds...go from there...