Gating compounds

Rattlin'12v

Never satisfied
Recently I've aquired a set of compounds, being 366/74/14-482/96/1.32.

Running 5x16s, 191dv's, 23* timing and 4ks and a fass220 for fueling, I'm managing to overspin this setup. Boost read 98psi and exhaust read over 100(only have 100psi gauges). Very wicked setup but I need to gate it for more than one reason clearly! I have a non gated steed, but am selling it and buying a gated steed. I'm new to EWGs so any advice and help is appreciated! I bought a 40mm TURBOSMART gate ready to stick on a manifold. I need help setting the gate up and what I should gate the setup to. TIA!

Running more timing would lower boost, more fuel burnt in the cyl instead of driving the turbo's. If you're running them that hard I bet you'd pick up alot by timing alone.

What do you use the truck for?
Depending on usage, I wouldn't get too hung up on spraying outta the bowl.

If I run more timing I'll be spraying out of the bowl

You have till 26 ish typically. Even with that said you can run out of the bowl depending on usage. We ran a set right at 26 this year with no problem. Also why do you say that's to much boost?

You have till 26 ish typically. Even with that said you can run out of the bowl depending on usage. We ran a set right at 26 this year with no problem. Also why do you say that's to much boost?

I've had the head off a lot to see that my setup is spraying 1/8-1/4" out of the bowl at 23-24* now. To much boost, because from those that have drag trucks(I.E. Chris Reed,Chase Lunsford) that I've asked have said I'm running them a little to hard.

What do you use the truck for?
Depending on usage, I wouldn't get too hung up on spraying outta the bowl.

Mainly I just use the truck for playing around and acting stupid all the while hurting people's feelings who thinks their cars/trucks are fast. I do occasionally hook up to a trailer, when I do, it's heavy(ish) (10-20k lbs) I know I can't have the cake and eat it too but I like to have a semi versatile truck. Right now it's hood stacked?

One thing to keep in mind when comparing boost numbers between your 12v and others 24v race trucks, your head flow is usually going to be much lower so you'll see higher boost numbers when running the turbos to the same RPM. 98psi does sound like quite a bit, I'll agree with others, try more timing, you might be surprised as you pick up another 50 HP and lose 5 to 10 psi boost pressure.

Boost is a little high, but not too high. I've run a similar setup with with mid 40s from the primary and 90s total. Ran good, just tough on silicone couplings.

Like everybody said, more timing, 26 works good with stock pistons.

Has the head been ported? If not, it's well worth the effort, and will definitely drop the boost level.

Gating is still a good idea too.

Last edited:
Boost is a little high, but not too high. I've run a similar setup with with mid 40s from the primary and 90s total. Ran good, just tough on silicone couplings.

Like everybody said, more timing, 26 works good with stock pistons.

Has the head been ported? If not, it's well worth the effort, and will definitely drop the boost level.

Gating is still a good idea too.

I hope it is, I'm selling my non gated steed? Hopefully I'll be able find a gated steed worth the money. I just couldn't bring myself to cutting holes in the manifold to add gates! As of right now, I have a new head at Kingspeed for a little tlc and ringing. Also, I've bought a 40mm gate, a billet tappet cover, billet front cover with removable gear cover and a valve cover that has a breather(two joined together with a baffle/filter) to help relieve some crank pressure as well as the filters for the tappet and front cover. If you guys have any suggestions, fill me in! Thanks!