gear change tone ring?

blackcoal

I just swapped from 3.55 to 4.10 in a dana 80 axle. I swapped gears and the carrier. Reused the tone ring

And now the different carrier and gears in there, the tone ring for the speedo doesn't line up with the sensor in the housing.

Anyone run into this issue before?

It is sitting about a half inch to far to the right of the sensor I think. Im guessing this is because the 3.55 and 4.10 carriers are different thickness or something?

The thickness isn't different, the hyphoid offset is.

I've never changed gears in anything that still required the tone ring, so I can't help you there. But there's a 3/8" difference between where the mating area of the carrier to ring gear go between the two.

Call Chase or Perry at East Coast Gear Supply tomorrow, those guys will are a wealth of konwledge. They'll also sell you anything you need with the fastest shipping and, no joke, the cheapest prices. Just my experience with gear vendors, and I've dealt with more than a few.

I've never changed gears in anything that still required the tone ring, so I can't help you there. But there's a 3/8" difference between where the mating area of the carrier to ring gear go between the two.

Call Chase or Perry at East Coast Gear Supply tomorrow, those guys will are a wealth of konwledge. They'll also sell you anything you need with the fastest shipping and, no joke, the cheapest prices. Just my experience with gear vendors, and I've dealt with more than a few.

2nd'd. Helluva resource here in NC.

I have changed carriers in mine, and never had an issue.

Are you sure you have the proper carrier?

So that 3/8th difference could be my problem? because that tone wheel goes in between the carrier and the ring gear.
I will try giving them a call too

I have changed carriers in mine, and never had an issue.

Are you sure you have the proper carrier?

I should, I got dana gears and the carriers from a member on here. He didn't send me the tone ring. They set up good so I would think its the right one? Any markings I should look for on it to verify?

So that 3/8th difference could be my problem? because that tone wheel goes in between the carrier and the ring gear.
I will try giving them a call too

I should, I got dana gears and the carriers from a member on here. He didn't send me the tone ring. They set up good so I would think its the right one? Any markings I should look for on it to verify?

I'm not saying it is your issue, because you're not the only one to swap carriers and gears... but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

If the gears "setup up good" then you'll be fine. What did the pattern look like?... that's the telltale. I've known a more than a few people that tried to shim a stock carrier with the gear split and call it "good enough". Grease marks don't lie... Toss a picture up of your marking compound once.

I put a carrier out of a superduty in my dana 80 and the speed sensor reads fine (that's what feeds my Dakota digital SGI-5 in my '95). Maybe you got an oddball carrier out of some other application. But as said before, if the gears "set up" right then everything should line up. Good luck with it.

If it is installed correctly, the tone ring should line up with the sensor if I remember correctly. The outside(carrier) and tubes are the same, the only thing that changes is the gears and the diff case. Trying to remember back to my factory days at Dana.

I'm not saying it is your issue, because you're not the only one to swap carriers and gears... but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

If the gears "setup up good" then you'll be fine. What did the pattern look like?... that's the telltale. I've known a more than a few people that tried to shim a stock carrier with the gear split and call it "good enough". Grease marks don't lie... Toss a picture up of your marking compound once.

Its all put together, and I have been running it. The pattern was drive side centered slightly to toe. The coast was pretty much centered.

Looking through my messages. It came out of a 96 dodge, 4.10s factory limited slip.

Now did the 96s use a speed senor in the rear end or just the tcase? Maybe that would be why? But it had the little slot in the carrier that the tab on the tone wheel fit into? So idk?

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the help guys! I pulled the cover and the sensor and found a little more "glitter" in the oil than I think there should be? So maybe I don't have it set up right then?

Here is how far the ring is to the passenger side of the axle is through the hole in the top of the housing [ame="http://s687.photobucket.com/user/wengersled/media/0717142241_zps9f1fb193.jpg.html"]Tone Ring Photo by wengersled | Photobucket[/ame]

Do I have to many shims on the drivers side?

Which has me thinking. When I took it apart the original carrier shim pack had several shims on the tone ring or drivers side. The passenger side had less.

From what I found (online/ the manual) is to set the backlash first.

So I started with what was in there to begin with. It had to much backlash.
I moved shims to the drivers side till I had it at in spec.

Then I checked the pattern and it was off. Not enough pinion depth.

So I played with the pinion depth shims till I got the pattern good.

Once I had the pattern good, I didn't have any backlash at all.

I ended up moving shims and moved them back to the passenger side till back lash was good.

But there are still more shims on the tone wheel (drivers) side.

Rechecked pattern and it was still good, so I put the cover back on and have put maybe 40 miles on it.

Did I do something way wrong here?

Im kind of thinking? that I should shim the carrier so the tone wheel and the sensor line up? And then just add pinion depth shims to tighten the backlash up? Or that would probably make my pattern off?

Any thoughts would be great

You shim the carrier to get the proper pattern and backlash. You don't ever shim to anything else. Shimming the carrier for the sensor to line up will more than likely ensure you just bought another set of gears. Everything else to the gearset is of secondary importance.

Have you called Chase or Perry at ECGS? Have you called the manufacturer of the carrier?

Read this if you have any questions about the gear pattern and how to change it, because it doesn't sound like you've done this before: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1256146-ring-pinion-set-up-jantz-engineering-advanced-masters-course.html.

You are correct this is the first dana gear set I have ever messed with. That was a good read, thanks!

But okay I got it figured out and feel like a dumb ass now. East Coast Gear said there is only one tone ring. And it shouldn't matter if its not centered in the hole it will pick it up, so I did some digging around. And found the plug had a bunch of crap in it. Cleaned it out, and works perfect now.

Gonna hook it tomorrow night so so we will see what happens now with the lower gears