Gears for sled pulling

Dmaxx22

I was wondering what would be good set of gears to go with for daily driver/ sled puller. I have 305/70/16 tires and 16x10 rims. Now would 4.56, 4.10, or so? What would be best gears to run

Also truck is an lly and will have a built motor. Should be around 725 to 800 on hp. Single turbo and exergy 12mm cps.

Now you start in fourth gear and leave it? See this year i had 3rd gear start

I heard of some people leaving in fourth. Never tried it my self. Didn't feel it would work with converter and charger setup I had. Since yours is still a dd, IMHO I would stick with the 3rd gear start and let it shift 4th.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Ive never been able to take off in 4th, 3rd has always worked much better with 850ish HP. If I were in your shoes Id stick with leaving the line in at least 3rd and let it shift into forth.

4.10s with a 33 inch tire have treated me great. As someone else said 4.56's would probably work the best for you. They'd get you wound up and into 4th gear quicker hence giving you the most wheel speed. Just my personal experience.

ok thank you everyone for input. Really thinking 4.56s and i am going to try the G2 ones

4.56s are way to much gear for 305s if you are going to continue to DD the truck. Especially with a 5 spd. I'm running 4.10s with 285s in the winter and 305/50/20s in the summer. Interstate speeds are border line unbearable and it drinks fuel. Running back and forth to work and carting the plow around in the winter I haven't seen much of a mileage change, as long as I keep it around 60-65mph.

G2 gears are junk, may just as well shop for the cheapest no name brand gear you can get instead, because thats what you are paying for with g2. Go with Yukon's, AAM or Dana. If you would like pricing on gears, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I was able to start in fourth but it depends on converter and charger setup. As far as the g2 stuff is concerned I tried there axle's before going to 38 spline and they busted like tooth picks.

OK the guy that is building my motor runs 4.56 with same tire and rims. He is around 650hp range. and the speed he gets with those on the track is crazy. Thanks for the in put everyone

I know of a truck running 4.56's, 35's, and is in the 650 range that has issues running 4th.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

I have other gearing opinions, but I find it funny about the third gear starts.

That's what was done with manual trans trucks. Then the Alli started showing that autos were where it's at, because it could light the charger and gain ground speed. Now we're back to manual trans trucks by starting the Alli in third gear. I guess it's like how we started with a telegraph, invented the telephone, then went back to the telegraph with texting.

Depending on the stall rate of the convertor you should have no problem spooling the charger and still leaving in third (or in some cases forth) with an Allison.

I started in third all last year and had no problem at all. I was thinking starting in third and then hit fourth with the 4.56s

Third always worked well for me. I tried 4th a few times as well but third worked the best for my setup, then into forth.

That's what was done with manual trans trucks. Then the Alli started showing that autos were where it's at, because it could light the charger and gain ground speed. Now we're back to manual trans trucks by starting the Alli in third gear. I guess it's like how we started with a telegraph, invented the telephone, then went back to the telegraph with texting.

I think some pretty successful 2.6 trucks have shown that locking the converter is enough "gear change" to get the job done and not have the reliability problems at high HP. No sledpuller needs that thing shifting 3 times. First gear is just a time waster.

Kinda like the PowerGlide in drag racing....yeah, it's a dinosaur, but it flat out works.

Back