GM 1 wire alternator

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
has anybody ran a 1 wire gm alternator on thier truck? i have a 12v in a 98.5(no way to trigger stock alt) so i decited to run a 1 wire gm alternator. im having trouble holding a charge. there is no perasitic(when key is off) draw. the alt and both batt's are both new. im running a air dog 150 pump, but other than that nothing special.

i have one on my conversion. trying to hook it up to a dodge i am not sure how their set up is from the factory. i have heard of people turning their dodge alt into a one wire. might want to try that would be easier than trying to fab brackets and all

Test for draw....

Volt meter on the battery, watch the voltage as you pull 1 fuse at a time. When you see the voltage go up when removing a fuse, you found your draw. Also, try disconnecting the alternator and make sure that it is not drawing, or internally shorted.

im not using the dodge wireing on the alt. i have a single 10ga wire running staright to the batt.

i run one on my truck, with no issues at all
The alt could have an internal short, to ground, and wont show as a draw unless ur checkin the wire to battery

change to an 8ga, if you stop and start your truck all the time that 10 wont carry what the alt will do. i burned a 10 ga wire from alt to batt on a sbc in an 85 car, way less than what the diesel needs to charge 2 batts

good question there okish, that alt might be set to run on a gasser that spins a few thousand rpm faster, might need a smaller pulley on it to work righ on a 3k or less rpm motor.

Have you actually checked Voltage at the alternator, and at the batteries while running?
Or installed an ammeter to check charging current? (make sure you have an ammeter rated for the current output of the Alternator when you do this)