Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Stay 2WD

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Go part time 4WD

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
was just throwing out some ideas..
lingenfelter before he died built a s-15 sonoma truck with a turbo ls6 engine awd with a 4l80 i think... anyway he used an awd tahoe front end under it.. its been a while since i have read about it..
also the syclone typhoon trucks from late 80's early 90's might have a chassis that might be easier to adapt your body to..

was just throwing out some ideas..
lingenfelter before he died built a s-15 sonoma truck with a turbo ls6 engine awd with a 4l80 i think... anyway he used an awd tahoe front end under it.. its been a while since i have read about it..
also the syclone typhoon trucks from late 80's early 90's might have a chassis that might be easier to adapt your body to..

I did consider the S10/syclone chassis for a while but figured it would be much easier to come across the 3/4 ton chassis and lock the front diff manually and eliminate the actuator.

I have been researching and found lots of guys have deleted the factory torsion bars and installed coilover shocks for a nice weight savings, in my app it would help with weight and require less fab since there will not be a torsion bar crossmember.

Good suggestion about the standard 1/2 ton front end. I could find a single cab short bed chassis 4x4 setup (easy around here) and adapt it to my use I guess, I just wonder how the front diff will hold? Then that also brings me back to having custom axles made for the 14 bolt rear so I can change the bolt pattern, which isnt a bad thing I guess so I can install the ford housing ends and eliminate the C clips.

i dont think the front diff would be important as the rear... you arent routing all your power through it...

the new vortec max half ton trucks are running 360hp and 375 tq through that diff in a heavier truck...i dont know if its the same or not...
was just trying to help out with the 5 lug pattern...

almost forgot. the explorer 4x4,, has an 8.8 in the rear, i forgot what front axle, but i thought they used an 8.8 also for the front. can be built to take a ton of power and will let you use that spendy adapter you had made...

after reading this whole thing again... you sound like you have done more research than the normal person would.... i feel sorry for you wife!! i know what mine puts up with trying to figure stuff out...
and whatever route you choose i hope it works out.. you obviously have more skill than a lot of us, as we are just happy bolting parts on and optimizing it.. looks like you have it in the bag though!

LOL Thanks, I actually have a job that makes me travel alot, the upside is I can research for hours on end while I work so it all works out in the end. Luckily when I am home (might be 3 days or 3 months who knows) I spend all day everyday with my wife and the kids when they arent at school, :D

But yeah I have many hours invested in searching.

06+ Ford explorer has 4x4 IFS and IRS with a full frame. And it would easily convert to coilover.

And I would recommend a NP203 case. I think all the 94-85(?) dodge and chevy 1/2 tons used them. Its a full time case.

Maybe E-lockers front and rear would help for drag duty.

I had considered the explorers and I know they use an 8.8 diff front and rear but after all the wheel hop issues with my current IRS I think I wanna stay away from it. I also don't think it would handle the Tq if I could ever get it to hook up.

On a side not I found a local guy that has a complete 2004 chevy 2500hd chassis 4x4 for $700 supposedly with low mileage. That's a pretty good deal from what I've found.

LMK man i have a complete 4wd IFS front clip from an 01 1500 burban complete with matching rear axle.

Funny too cause only reason i kept it was to do something simliar with the 1950 Harvester i have and just go firewall back. There are quite a few 4-500 hp trucks out there running that front diff w/o any issues.