Going to Dyno tomorrow night

Pork

Sub-MOA surgeon
Gonna dyno my truck tomorrow night, see what the ED 63/68/14 and CPP SAC 175s are capable of. planning doing several runs, mainly with the Smarty on 4 and Edge on 5x1... but i will do a Smarty off and Edge 5x1 run for max hp...

also i gotta get my wastegate set to maximize power so first three runs will dial that in

Heres how i am planning on doing it

Run 1 - Smarty 4 Edge 5x1 WG open
Run 2 - Smarty 4 Edge 5x1 WG 1/2
Run 3 - Smarty 4 Edge 5x1 WG closed

then out of those three which ever gives me the greatest power i will base my other runs off of

Run 4 - Smarty 4 Edge 4x1
Run 5 - Smarty OFF Edge 5x1 (expecting this one to be max HP)
Run 6 - Smarty OFF Edge 4x1

i would like to add a little timing as well to see if that does anything, and finally

Run 7 - Smarty 2 Edge 4x1
Run 8 - Smarty 2 Edge 5x1
Run 9 - Smarty 9 Edge OFF

will try and get videos, and i will post all dyno sheets to give you guys an idea of what this setup is capable of

IF anyone has any ideas of different settings they wanna see me try lemme know and i'll try to squeeze them in. I got the dyno for an hour.

I'd recommend you set the wastegate as tight as you can for maximum boost if you are looking for peak horsepower on the dyno. Or, in other words, disable the wastegate and let it make as much boost as possible.

On the drag strip, if you're running a really tight turbine wheel, it will choke out on the topend slightly and the added boost will only heat soak the charge air cooler. In RARE cases like that, you will run quicker by tuning in the wastegate to relieve some back pressure and limit peak boost pressure.

ok well i'm gonna try it 3 different ways and see which one delivers the best power. open, partially closed and closed. so we will be able to tell if max boost gives me the best power.

i'm gonna try and follow up the dyno with some test and tune runs Friday night... i'll monkey with the wastegate there too.

Did you make it to the dyno?

I did... made 528hp and 982tq... will post the graphs when i can... i think i broke my output shaft tonight. it was a regular non billet one. time to upgrade.

Care to share which wastegate setting made the most power....

Final numbers were: 528.17 hp, 982.43 tq
This was with the Smarty on 4 and Edge on 5x1

Here are the stats on my runs:

Run 1: Smarty SW4 Edge 5x1 WG open - 515/906 (wheel spin)
Run 2: Smarty SW4 Edge 5x1 WG open - 520/915
Run 3: Smarty SW4 Edge 5x1 WG 1/2 closed - 516/907

At this time we started realizing that the turbo which would normally hit 50+ psi on the street was only hitting about 48 or so... so we loaded it with the brakes to 20 psi before we began the run.

Run 4 Smarty SW4 Edge 5x1 WG 1/2 closed - 528/982 (peak)
Run 5 Smarty SW4 Edge 5x1 WG 3/4 closed - 520/913

Run 6 Smarty Stock, Edge 5x3 WG 1/2 closed - 403/832
Run 7 Smarty Stock, Edge 5x5 WG 1/2 closed - 405/872

^i dont know what it was about those two runs but they were weak sauce. maybe Wayne (the dyno guy) was having trouble lighting the turbo without the smarty... idk... but those were pretty bad.

Run 8 Smarty SW2 Edge 5x1 WG 1/2 closed - 481/923
Run 9 Smarty SW2 Edge 5x1 WG 1/2 closed - 504/973

After run 9 which (seemed like a really hard run) Wayne let off too quick and the engine got airlocked... took forever to get the truck started again, i thought it broke something. Luckily John Porterfield was in the area and stopped by to offer assistance, getting us up and running again. Thanks John.

but after that fiasco it was getting late and i had to call it a night.
I didnt get to run a 4x1 on the Edge at all, which i think would have helped, cuz most of my graphs are really erratic up top past 2800 rpm. almost like i had too much fuel?

i also dont think i got accurate enough waste gate adjustment numbers, cuz while we were adjusting it he wasnt building boost before hand, like he was during the other runs. that and it was 93 degrees and 51% humitidy. max boost i saw on the dyno was about 48, i normally see about 52-54 even with the wastegate open on the street.

Am i happy with those numbers?... yea pretty happy with 528. was really shooting closer to 550 and 1000ft lbs though, but given the issues we were having getting data i will take the numbers i got.

Videos and graphs to come.

Good numbers. I'm gonna dyno the end of this month. My setup is just a little larger than yours, but I think the Quad adrenaline is better than the smarty/edge stack. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a drag comp or a hot juice, is it just a regular Edge fueling box? The regular boxes cut back fuel at 2800 RPM, that could be why you saw the erratic numbers above 2800 rpm.

Back