going to spend 5 to $6000 on upgrades, opinions and help please

James Stevens

Hey guys I am about to spend about 5 to 6 thousand on my truck and I wanted your guys input if it is a good idea + I have a couple questions to. I am thinking of getting most of the parts from PDR diesel.com
I am upgrading my truck (5.9, 110,000km,2007) slowly overtime as I save up, I have Intake, 5 inch turbo back exhaust, ATS auto, Smarty Sr, Fass 150 with filters, Gauges including, tranny temp, boost, pyro, rail pressure, lift pump pressure. When my truck is done I see it with all the above + cp3 stage 2, 50hp ss injectors, MP-8 pressure box, twin turbos, studs (o ring's?), camshaft upgrade, valve springs? I do not plan on going past stock rpm 3500rpm. The pieces I am looking at PRD are the re-ground quick spool cam & lifter set 03 - 07 $467 CAD (all prices are Canadian) OR the new 24v 98.5 - 07 camshaft $577. Anybody know the difference between the two other then the new vs re grind part. I am no expert but how can they make one camshaft work good on all trucks from 98.5 all the way to 07's wouldn't the later engines require a different cam profile?? I am after mileage #1, power a close #2. I have a 07 so am looking to get rid of that in cylinder egr stuff. I am also trying to decide between there Cobra Stage 1,2,3 twin turbo kits. The stage 1 kit is HX 35/HT3b 350-600HP, stage 2 HX 40/HT3b 375-700HP, Stage 3 S300/HT3b 400-750HP.(All 3 kits are on sale for $4,398 now) Just adding up the numbers (which I know doesn't always work so chime in and let me know what U guys think I will be at) 325 stock + 50 hp injectors + 220 hp Smarty + 10 hp Exhaust + Mp - 8 stack + ?? = 605HP without the MP-8 I do not know what it would add. So it looks like the stage 1 or 2 would work, I want as fast spool as possible, but want to keep my drive pressure under control too. Opinions? It doesn't say on the site what kind of boost do these kits put out? I will need studs, do I need to O ring it too? If I o ring the head is that just a special head gasket I buy, or do I have to send the head away? If it doesn't cost to much I am going to get a 5 angle valve job done when we install everything. Sorry for the long post, so I guess my main questions are, what cam? and what turbo kit, o-rings needed and how to install them, are valve springs necessary, I don't plan on going past stock rpm, but I hear some times with higher boost pressure they are needed. When we are in there should we change cam bearings? Are they hard to change? Any feedback appreciated, and if need anymore info let me know. Thanks in advance James

I see lots of stuff mentioned that you have or want, but no mention of getting the tranny built...that is where I would put the $5k or at least a helluva nice chunk of it.
All that HP is no good if you can't get it to the ground!

paypal to me!!!! and i will tell you truck is fast and powerful whenever you call!!!!
i would do the stage 3 turbo kit... just as adjustable and driveable just more power on tap. and go with a 100 to 125 hp injector instead of 50's spend the money once for what you are really after. driveability wont suffer a bit and as with the turbos more power on tap..

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I called Mark today when I was at work and he said I would be happier with the spool up of the stage 6 twin kit (S300/K31) they support 400 - 600HP. I explained I didn't want any turbo lag, so he said these light quicker. He also said I just need Studs, no O rings so that's good. He also said I didn't need any valve springs, these twin kits support up to 60 psi boost, somewhere I read that valve springs are a good idea when running 60psi + boost, opinions anybody.
I have the ATS auto and they say it is good for 600HP, so I am good there.
I know I will never get my money back out of this truck, I can live with that. I am the guy that will spend bout $6000 to get 2 more MPG. I want to make it as efficient as I can. Most of the research I have done suggest that I should gain about 2 from the cam, and not lose any with the twins, opinions?
That is also why I am leaning towards the 50hp injectors
Thanks guys keep em comming

Last edited:
Why not look into Nathan IdahoCTD stocker/s475 twins. It will cost about have of what PDR is going to charge you and support the same HP.