Going to the dark side

99 7.3

Well sounds like I'm coming to the dark side after putting a rod through my pan and making a window in my block. Probably going to get an 09' Crew cab, hand shaker. Tell me what to look out for (preventitive maintaince) and what tuners are good and whatever else you can think of.
Thanks!

Seriously, nothing? There is nothing to watch out for in this year truck? Like the gaskets are weaker than the 08's or things along that line. Who makes a good egr delete, when headstuds needed, etc..... Are the turbo's junk? What should I expect for mileage out of this truck? I was told to expect 12mpg. I hope not!! Please anything would be nice.

Oh and when should I expect to start going to a different clutche (hp wise) and who should I go with? I plan on building it some what. Thinking around 600 hp? Idk if that is possible with this engine, nor how to achieve it. So please help me. Thanks

ive heard with deletes the mpgs goes up alot. dont know much other than that about the 6.7 I would say get a smarty, do the deletes and a southbend clutch should be a good truck

from what i know, is that a 6.7 with all the deletes and running a tst mp8 with 38in tires kills a factory clutch. so i would figure that with stock sized tires they will stand alittle more but probly not too much. id also say go with the smarty, but i know a few people running the h and s race turners and they seem to like it.
jon.

I would stud it right away and a south bend 3250 can hold 650hp. If you dont want alot of adjustability I would go with H&S and 20mpg on the freeway is what would be expected after deletes. With an aftermarket turbo 600hp is very easy to accomplish just do a little searching and see what route you want to go.

dont buy a smarty get a h&s and stock clutch will not hold anything much more then a 60horse tune and def do studs right away or you will be doing a head gasket and i can get upwards of 25 mpg hand caculated with h&s with all the deletes but i also have 3.42 gears

What's wrong with Smarty? Have you used both?

^ x2 nothing wrong with a smarty. To the op you will need a clutch very soon other than that as long as the emissions stuff gets parked the trucks are fine. Above 475hp or so you will need a turbo or you will blow the head gaskets. Good luck with your switch to the dark side I did it and everything has been fine, brake pads wear out faster than on a ford but those are cheap.

my buddy claims 26 mpg with his mega cab its an auto is all i know and has the deletes done to it and a smarty

I'd also suggest an aftermarket lift pump...seems to be cheap insurance on these things especially when you start modding. $.02

my buddy claims 26 mpg with his mega cab its an auto is all i know and has the deletes done to it and a smarty

Ill bet he has a space ship too huh?!!?

H&s or smarty. South bend or valair. Clutch wont hold much more than stock power.
Studs and an external gate if your keeping the stock turbo.

Oh and SEARCH.

Thanks guys. Seriously the clutch is that bad? And the headbolts? WOW!! That's nice! I was looking last night at items to purchase. Studs, smarty sr (is that right), egr delete kit, and a solid 4" exhaust with the dpf delete.

Thanks guys. Seriously the clutch is that bad? And the headbolts? WOW!! That's nice! I was looking last night at items to purchase. Studs, smarty sr (is that right), egr delete kit, and a solid 4" exhaust with the dpf delete.

No its not bad at all. We're all telling you the same thing so you waste your money on an unneeded accessory.
:doh:

The clutch is that bad, one of my customers took his clutch out at 17,000 miles with a SmartyJR set on 40hp! Don't waste your money on a 4" exhaust system, get a 5" turbo back system for a '04.5+ 5.9L and be done with it. Head studs are also a very good idea.

Just looked at the valair clutches. They aren't priced that badly. Gotta find prices for south bend. Thinking one that will hold 600 hp and will take a few hooks to a sled.

What are the rods good for hp wise in these engines?

700 - 800hp depending upon how fast you bring on the power, cylinder pressure, nitrous etc etc! I have a buddy that drag raced the sh!t out of his truck and hooked to a sled quite often with a engine that pushed over a 1000hp for a long time! But for a daily driver I woulnt push it over 700 as I am going to work on a builing a bottom end. As far as hooking to a sled I wouldnt do it unless I had an SFI approved clutch, you will hear of guy's doing it but thats a big chance and alot of money for one hook. If you dont want any drone in your cab I would go with a 4" exhaust. Call Wally @ FTE for the BEST PRICES and customer service he is the man 216-496-3600 :Cheer: