good gear ratio

speedfreak

I have many questions that I hope can be answerd hear, I have a 03 F250 auto with the 6.0, running 315 tires. this truck is in the works to be a 2.6 puller but for the next few months it will a spare/back up till I pick up a nother truck. I am not at all worried about fuel milage, but looking for the best gear for sled pulling.
I think the rear axel is a 10.5?? tag on axel has thease # V 423 F
L73 10 5 3E23
so I figure that is a 10.5 with 3.73 gear

and the front axel tag is 3.73 V3C34-FC
611337 - 1
Is that a dana 60??

another question is how big of a chgnge can be made on the stock carrier can I put a 4.56 on the stock carrier or will I need a carrier for the 4.56??
last question does any one have any gear sets they are looking to sell
I am in eastern Pa thanks in advance for any help

The first thing I would do is slid a dana 80 under the rear,the 10.5 streling axle will never hold up in 2.6 class.I busted my 10.5 three times with a stock turbo,425-450rwhp.A dana 80 out of a dually ford will bolt right in$.02

x2 on the axle swap. Is your truck an auto or 6spd? Grimm Jeeper has an excellent gear ratio calculator to find out what gear you need. It has drop down menu's to select what tranny you have or enter in your own numbers if your tranny and transfer case is not listed. Usually in the 2.6 class anywhere from a 13.0-14.0 Final gear ratio is ideal.

well after a lot of playing around with that Grimme jeeper thing and shopping around I figured I would stay with the 3.73 gear in the 10.5, I pull in 3 low and that would give me a 15.57 final gear to get closet to 14 final gear I would have to go to a 5.13 gear and pull in 4 low to see 13.9 final gear,
I am going to keep my eyes open for a deal on a dana 80 for next season adn for now just try n find a good used set of 3.73 for the 10.5 so if any one has a set for sale drop me a line Thanks for the input

Before you pull with that !0.5 sterling rear, weld the axle tubes to the center section!!! The spot welds that hold the axle tubes to the center section break and the center section will spin upword.

I think 3 lo is too slow,I pulled 3 lo with 33" and 3.73 and was always bouncing off the rev limiter. I put in a set of 4. 10 hoping to pull in 4th but didnt have enough of power,so i was stuck in 3 lo agine,not enough of wheel to compete,mabe with 315 tires . Id put 4.10 gears in you would like your truck a lot better,and juice it till you can get that 4th gear.:Cheer:

I have a 10.5 for sale with a Detroit Locker, Moser axles, 3:73's with a spare ring and pinion for $1k. Axle tubes are welded. I've had no problem with the rear for the last two years. Yes I've broke it a few times with less power.

I pulled my 6.0 several years with the 10.5. I had hypermax 345cc hybrids and twin chargers. I never broke a ring or pinion. I did break several axle shafts and lockers. The axle shafts are the same diameter 35 spline axle shafts as the dana 80. I needed to upgrade to 37 spline and that could not be done with the 10.5 so I had to switch to the Dana 80.

After installing the Moser axles that seemed to take care of my problems.

Before you pull with that !0.5 sterling rear, weld the axle tubes to the center section!!! The spot welds that hold the axle tubes to the center section break and the center section will spin upword.

I would weld the axle tubes to the center section no matter what rearend it is. Just my $.02

That is going to happen, right now the left tube is twisted, the last pull I did it got a hop and I tryed to drive out of it :badidea: It finaly twisted the shaft off @ the center bearing and drove the front of the shaft in to the ground thus bending the pinion shaft. while fixing that I decided to install new springs and had a hell of a time getting the left center pin to line up thats when I learned about the presed in axel tubes with them cheap plug welds, so I am going to pull the axel out and heat the center section so I can level up the spring perches, and that is were I am now :bang