goose neck on a mega cab

STR8 TQ

caveman racing
im thinking about putting a goose neck on my mega cab but im wondering if i am going to have to worry about cab clearance. should i put the hitch a little futher back in the bed (im talking inches not feet) or get and extention for the goose neck itself. what do you guys think

It really depends on the type of trailer you will be towing. Horse trailers are harder to clear but with an equipment trailer you should be fine. A buddy of mine has a mega cab that he uses a gooseneck extension for his featherlite stock trailer with no issues.

mount in the correct location and then test it out. If it gets to close for your liking buy a offset hitch like this

4085-B&W-Gooseneck-Hitch-4--Offset-Ball-Extender-for-sale_110631814681.jpg

I've never pulled a stock trailer but with my equipment trailer I've never had clearance problems other than barely clearing my tool box.

mount in the correct location and then test it out. If it gets to close for your liking buy a offset hitch like this

4085-B&W-Gooseneck-Hitch-4--Offset-Ball-Extender-for-sale_110631814681.jpg

I need one of those but I've got the swap the junk hitch that came with the truck first. I will never own anything but a B&W hitch.

I installed a PopUp GN hitch in my MegaCab a week after I bought my truck. I pull a 30' GN flatbed and a 32' GN horse trailer with LQ on a regular basis. I have had NO problems whatsoever with cab interference. I added an offset to both of those trailers just in case, but frankly, I really did not need them. Yes, you ARE closer to the cab, but all you really need to do is pay attention. I have seen guys with long beds get into their cabs because they are not paying attention. The offsets are nice, they move the trailer back some away from the rear of the bed, leave you a little more room when you have the tailgate down and need to access the bed for something.

CD

I need one of those but I've got the swap the junk hitch that came with the truck first. I will never own anything but a B&W hitch.

Be careful, I was going to do that on the 01 I had, but the location of the holes were different. The old one had its hole center of the rear axle, the B&W sits just in front of the axle.

Be careful, I was going to do that on the 01 I had, but the location of the holes were different. The old one had its hole center of the rear axle, the B&W sits just in front of the axle.

the hitch is supposed to be in front of the rear axle :eek:

The hitch I bought and had installed back in 01 was the style that you pull on a lever, much like the B&W, and the ball would slide up or down. I guess they thought back then that over the center of the rear axle is what you should have.

The hitch I bought and had installed back in 01 was the style that you pull on a lever, much like the B&W, and the ball would slide up or down. I guess they thought back then that over the center of the rear axle is what you should have.

I have the same stupid hitch in mine, I despise that thing. My hitch sits just in front of the rear axle.