got a new truck

9t5twelvevalve

hey guys, well my whole life ive always been into the twelve valves, a few of my friends have had 24vs and they seem to have problems, however none of the 12vs i was able to find were in very good shape, so yesterday i gave in and bought a 2004.5 cummins,

any info on things i should watch out for such as common problems??
i was told the fuel pumps arent great on this year

also on a side note id like to get a mild tune, make it a bit faster and get some smoke, i was told that a good torque converter will hold up to a smarty without building the rest of the tranny as well, is this true?

any help would be nice, thanks!

hey guys, well my whole life ive always been into the twelve valves, a few of my friends have had 24vs and they seem to have problems, however none of the 12vs i was able to find were in very good shape, so yesterday i gave in and bought a 2004.5 cummins,

any info on things i should watch out for such as common problems??
i was told the fuel pumps arent great on this year

also on a side note id like to get a mild tune, make it a bit faster and get some smoke, i was told that a good torque converter will hold up to a smarty without building the rest of the tranny as well, is this true?

any help would be nice, thanks!

they are decent pickups, i get a ton of em in with injector problems. fuel pump is in the tank on the 05's which is basically what yours is i believe i see a few come in the shop needing em but not too often. lot more on the 03-04s with the pump on the side of the motor. i like mine alright, gunna put a 12 valve in it though before too long though.

tranny will hold for a while but it will eventually go sooner than not adding power. adding a converter or not, cant predict it, depends on your foot

if i keep my foot out of it most of the time and keep the programmer turned up about half way do you think the stock tranny will last me around 3 months?

if i keep my foot out of it most of the time and keep the programmer turned up about half way do you think the stock tranny will last me around 3 months?

It may--but a lot of that is dependent upon how many miles are on the transmission, if any work/rebuilds have been done before, and how hard it was worked before you got it. Just drive it knowing you will be in the transmission sooner than later, and when it does go you won't be surprised!

If you drive sensibly and the tranny isn't giving you any problems now, it should last. Just remember that the very thing that makes that common rail run so well is also that which is hastening the end of your stock transmission! :lolly: